Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilts made from neckties.........

I'm looking for a pattern where I can use some neckties that were given to me by a dear friend in hoping that I can somehow use them in a quilt pattern...Does anyone have a pattern....or has anyone made one....I've seen pictures of them, but never paid any attention to it....but, now I'd like to try one....Please help me if you can.....Nancy

I have seen necktie quilts with the ties looking like a dresden plate pattern in the center of the quilt and the ties in a fan pattern in the corners. They were put on a stablelizer first then appliqued on the fabric. One quilt was done on a single piece of cloth. The other was done with large simple blocks so as not to detract from the ties. Pam W.

Thanks for the reply....I've never done a plate....they seem and look hard....will keep on looking.........Thanks again..........Nancy

How about a bow tie quilt? That is an easy block. There is a book out that is called "Daddys Ties" The author is Shirley Botsford. I would also use an iron on stabilizer cause ties are cut on the bias and are very stretchy.

Debbie

Banned
    Maybe Grandmother's Fan like this from http://www.plainandsimplequilts.com/...%20Tidbits.htm

If you have fewer ties than necessary for an entire quilt, you could make a pillow cover (or covers) in a crazy quilt pattern and embellish ornately with stitching, beading or whatever. I would think that would use more of the tie fabric than just the bottom third and would lend itself to a more public display.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thank-you ladies....I gonna look into getting that book....alot of projects in the book...Thanks again....Planning on this being a WINTER project some year...lolThanks again............Nancy

That also is a good idea....gonna check into it.......Thanks again.........Nancy

A friend of mine made a quilt out of her SIL's father's ties for him to have as a memory quilt of his Dad. She opened up all the ties, cut them into random width strips and then sewed them together in a crazy quilt style. She made lots of blocks and then squared up each block to either a 10 or 12" square and then sewed the blocks together. She used a herringbone looking plaid fabric for a border (she may have sashed it with it too, I cannot remember). She may have a photo of the quilt. I could ask her and have her email it to me, if you are interested. It was really an awesome looking quilt, was easy to make, and looked like a great "guy quilt"

Thanks for the info.........I'd love to see the picture if it's possible....Thanks for the info....Nancy

my sister made several lap sized quilts from ties, she used old leisure suits for background pieces. i will try to post a picture of them.
    The blue and green are necktie quilts. She opened the ties up and just used like material.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast