Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilts made from panels >

quilts made from panels

quilts made from panels

Old 06-27-2016, 07:25 AM

My panel started out about that size. I trimmed off more on the sides of the panel than the top and bottom (the green/blue) and then added a wider first border top and bottom. I don't recall the exact measure the quilt ended up, but it's sitting on top of a king size bed in that picture.

This is an other idea of surrounding the panel that does not have dimensions that work well with the desired finished size. This one started out with a paper pieced center.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:01 AM

wow! thanks everyone! Now I have some good information and thanks for sharing pictures of your beautiful quilts!
Old 06-27-2016, 08:11 AM

When I want to make a longer and/or wider quilt I add a strip of simple color blocks using the colors in the quilt across the top and bottom and/or sides depending on where I needed the added size, then add my borders. Sometimes I'll use up the scraps making 4-patches or pinwheels to make up the needed size.

I've also seen where someone has slashed the panel and made it into a attic window which will add size both directions. Another person cut the panel lengthwise and added a strip between each panel strip adding width. I have the fantasia tree of life panel and that's what I plan on doing to it but adjust the strips in a bargello fashion.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:25 AM
mac

I am glad you asked that question, as I have a Snoopy panel that I have to make into a twin sized quilt and could use more ideas on how to put it together. I did find coordinating fabric and I am using some tone-on-tone primary colored fabric to use as borders between the panel and coordinating fabric; however, I have to say that I just can't see it in my mind's eye. If I can't see it, I can't do it.

I've washed it, ironed it and have left it in a pile, in plain view, hoping that the fabrics will tell me how they want to be put together. Up till now they have been silent. So, thanks for all of the ideas. Maybe that quilt will be made before the end of summer after all.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:38 AM

Jenny Doan from MSQ has a video for attic windows with a panel.

http://quiltingtutorials.com/browse-...s-quilt-panel/
Old 06-27-2016, 12:47 PM

I like kat13's idea of adding her name in a panel on top to lengthen it. If needed, all horizontal borders could be wider than vertical ones. Or you could use rectangular blocks vertically on the sides and horizontally on the top and bottom.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:53 PM

I just add borders with coordinating fabric and call it good!
Old 06-28-2016, 03:27 AM

I would put a border around it .... then add what ever type of block you want around that border, and continue until you get the size you want. Some of the ladies that have responded have shown some wonderful photos of quilts like this
Old 06-28-2016, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

There are some beautiful panel quilts on here and how they solved the problem of size.
I will be making one soon, I am working on it now. It will need to fit a queen size camper bed about 90 x 96" or so. My panel is larger, haven't measured it yet.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:30 AM

Jane Quilter, that is one of the best "cheater" quilts I've seen. Your additions are excellent.