Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts that are 'quilted to death'  -- just my 2 cents worth..... >

Quilts that are 'quilted to death' -- just my 2 cents worth.....

Quilts that are 'quilted to death' -- just my 2 cents worth.....

Old 04-26-2014, 06:11 AM

[QUOTE=Wonnie;6690735]Have perused this thread from start to finish. Simply put, there are two preferences...heavily quilted and minimally quilted.

I believe there is a middle ground between heavily quilted and minimally quilted. That's where I like to be
Linda
Old 04-26-2014, 07:31 AM

[QUOTE=lindadee;6691861]
Originally Posted by Wonnie View Post
Have perused this thread from start to finish. Simply put, there are two preferences...heavily quilted and minimally quilted.

I believe there is a middle ground between heavily quilted and minimally quilted. That's where I like to be
Linda
Me too
Old 04-26-2014, 09:35 AM

lindadee and beaglelady, you are correct. Guess I didn't make myself clear. I had read several comments to the thread suggesting that heavy quilting was necessary to make the quilt last longer and I was offering my belief that that was not necessarily true and offering proof. Even though I do put quilting designs in some "white" spaces and along a plain border they are minimal in their ornateness but, again, you are both correct in that it is more than just minimal. Thanks for pointing this out.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by LynnVT View Post
Fascinating conversation here! Everyone has a different opinion and all are good. If the quilter is an artist, regardless of what holds the needle - your fingers, your domestic machine, your longarm, your sitdown quilt machine, it is still the art that matters. Still another issue is competition with a computer. When your quilt hangs next to a quilt that has been automatically quilted by a machine, not a person handling a machine, that is a whole different ballgame. My feeling is that "roboquilting" should be on the label. Most of the time an experienced quilter can tell the difference, but it's annoying to me that people get to say "quilted by..." when actually all they did was hook it all up, choose a design from a catalog, and stand by or walk away while the machine does all the work. Sure, you have to be there in case the thread breaks or something, but I contend that auto-quilting should be identified on the labels just as professional quilters now are listed. Let's call it what it is. It's fine - I see the purpose of quick and easy - and they are certainly beautiful designs, but I consider it truth in labeling. Am I alone in this?
I totally agree computerized quilting should be labeled as such and be in a category by itself.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Excellent points Skittl. The quilt that swept the show circuit in 2011 was "America, Let it shine" by Sherry Reynolds. This quilt was pieced and quilted on a 20YO domestic Bernina and designed on graph paper, as opposed to using a design software like EQ. Here is an excellent blog detailing all about that spectacular quilt:
http://godutchbaby.blogspot.com/2011...by-sherry.html

Stitch, I think it is premature of you to so confidently say you won't be accepted at a major show. It is more than quilting that makes a show quilt. Original piecing design, complexity of pieced design (it is doubtful a YBR, BQ or Warm Wishes will make the cut in a juried show, no matter how spectacularly quilted) precision in workmanship, use of color and value, all of these things combined and more are what make an award winning quilt in a juried national show. If it was just heavy elaborate quilting that counted then nothing but wholecloths would be winning.

An interesting point about computer assisted quilting, recently AQS changed the classification of machine quilting in only two categories. Either the quilting was computer assisted or not. Unfortunately AQS decided stitch regulation falls under computer assisted. As Skittl mentioned most of the winners so far are hand guided but they were forced to enter in the computer assisted category because the quilting was stitch regulated. I think that is very sad. I wish they had made the category computer guided instead of computer assisted.
AQS just lost my respect. Sad is the word for it.

Nevertheless, if I ever get another chance to go to one of their shows, I will. I had the joy of viewing every single quilt in two of their shows in Knoxville. Not to mention visiting every single vendor.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:08 AM

I agree that too much quilting can take away from a beautifully pieced quilt. But I have seen some great quilts that are heavily quilted. I'm old fashioned I guess, but I never met a quilt I didn't like!
Old 04-28-2014, 11:19 AM

Some of the quilt shows I seen lately, most of the winners were heavily quilted by long arms and/or computerized. You hardly noticed the pieced top. I think the quilting should match the pieced top not just have all the space filled in. Art quilts are a different story to me and I have made a few and they are stiff, not soft and cuddly. I don't think robotic computerized quilts should be entered in shows. Might as go buy one from the store... imho...
Old 04-28-2014, 12:28 PM

Obviously when entering quilt shows you need to check their specific rules. Here is a link to AQS for the Paducah show that just ended. I think there is confusion sometimes when blanket statements are made in a discussion. For example hand quilted has it's own entry in this show. http://aqsshows.com/AQSPaducah/conte...14-categories/
Old 04-28-2014, 12:29 PM

[QUOTE=Skittl1321;6688049]In what world is "to death" not negative? Why would anyone want to do something with the result of death? Death is generally a negative thing. "Worked to death" doesn't imply a positive, "quilted to death" tells me it was quilted to the point of ruin (death).

I don't think quilted to death is descriptive of show quilts right now. Perhaps "heavily quilted" or even "very heavily quilted" is; but to death is incredibly negative to me.

I suppose it is how we look at things. I was watching a horse show on tv yesterday and the announcer said the horse was jumping right out of his skin - did I think the horse was actually jumping out of it's skin? - no! but I sure knew what she meant. Same thing here. The kids say "he's killing it" - that's a good thing. Call something sick, it's a real compliment. Do I use those terms - no, but I sure know what they mean. Quilted to death is also a relative term, not really meant derogatory, just used descriptively.
I think this has been a great discussion and I like how everyone got to say how they feel. This is not a right and wrong, this is a, I think this way, you think that, and we can all live on this planet and enjoy our quilting, whichever way we do it.