Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts of Valor question ?? >

Quilts of Valor question ??

Quilts of Valor question ??

Old 10-28-2014, 07:23 AM

Default Quilts of Valor question ??

I know there are some strict rules about making a Quilt of Valor but are there any restrictions on the colors used? Most of the pictures I see of QOV's are just normal looking quilts that are dedicated to a Veteran. Have been to several QOV websites and can't find this addressed. Is there a QOV group here on the Board?? Thanks in advance!!
Old 10-28-2014, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

If I remember correctly, you can make it any color but I think they seem to prefer the Red, White and Blue. I know there was some discussion of not using flannel on the back. You might go to F&P website to see if you can find a link. Fons is very into the QOV group and has free patterns for quilters to use.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

From the QOV Website:
http://www.qovf.org/content/fabric-pattern.html

[h=2]Basic Patterns/Colors/Motifs[/h] [h=3]Short Answer[/h] The most popular colors are Red, White and Blue. Patriotic themes are loved and most often requested. Although 10% of our military are women, when given a choice, most of them choose patriotic colors or designs as well. BUT...be advised that not all recipients want Red, White, Blue, patriotic.
What NONE of the recipients want are fabrics which are inappropriate...such as juvenile fabrics intended for children. What will happen if you choose to go this way is that your quilt may sit on a shelf gathering dust.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:53 AM

Thanks! Appreciate your comments. Thanks for the web site! The pattern I want to use uses 5 different fabrics.(one of which will definitely be WHITE!!) What would u put with patriotic fabric ? I want it to be BOLD!!
Old 10-28-2014, 08:54 AM

If you like mystery quilts, there is a link from the QOV site to a website that has over 30 QOV mystery quilts.

I usually use red / white / blue fabrics in tone-on-tones or small prints. But, if you're making the quilt specifically for a veteran you know, like a friend or family member, then take their likes and dislikes into consideration. For example, I'm making one right now for my daughter who spent 8 years in the Marine Corps, and it's made with a batik jelly roll with lots of colors. We are doing a QOV night at our guild and the Regional Coordinator will be there to talk about QOV and to accept quilts made for donation. And we are inviting our friends & family who are being presented quilts.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by borntoquilt View Post
Thanks! Appreciate your comments. Thanks for the web site! The pattern I want to use uses 5 different fabrics.(one of which will definitely be WHITE!!) What would u put with patriotic fabric ? I want it to be BOLD!!
How about light blue, navy blue, red, khaki tones to add to your white??
Old 10-28-2014, 07:07 PM

susansusan33 - those colors sound great... I was at a One Block Wonder class today with a lot of Guild Members there so I put my question to them. most were long time quilters and quite a few QOV-er's... Their opinion for colors were that most QOV quilters were wanting to get away from the red, white and blue.. also mentioned lots of women are now vets so need to change colors a bit... the quilt I want to make is for the husband (I've known him for 50 years)(( he is Vietnam era, agent orange disease and a few bouts of cancer due to orange junk )) of my best friend since 4th grade. I know anything I make will be a surprise, loved and cherished. I just want it to make sure I am in the guide lines of the official QOV. so thanks for the help! BTW! they will be married 50 years Nov 6th. I was maid of honor at their wedding... where the heck did 50 years go.... before I start BLUBBERING... good night...... and thanks
Old 10-28-2014, 07:55 PM

Any colors you want are fine. Here's one I did, which is not traditional R/W/B.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...r-t253464.html
Old 10-29-2014, 05:13 AM

As a Veteran (and a female) I think any quilt will be honored no matter the colors. I personally would at least have some of their service colors represented. Blue for Air Force or Navy. Red for Marines, Green for Army, ect...

I've pieced my grandfather (WWII Navy Veteran) a RWB quilt to honor his Naval background. It's not a QOV quilt per sey. I don't want a long armer to quilt it- I would rather do that myself.... I just need to sandwich and FMQ it up. I wanted to do it by Veterans Day, but looks like Christmas might be when it's completed. My children keep me hopping with football and cheerleading practice services. Not to mention this thing called a full time job.

Here's my quilt- very simple pattern called fat quarter fizz-- http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t254146.html
Old 10-29-2014, 05:36 AM

PS- I was so busy looking at the QOV website and forgot to mention how *awesome* it is that you're making the quilt for your long time friend!! He is going to be so blessed by your gift! I would be blubbering just thinking about your lifetime of friendship too!!