Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: quilts for wounded soldiers

quilts for wounded soldiers

I want to make quilts for our wounded soldiers, and am having a hard time finding where to send them. I would prefer the state of Minnesota, as I don't have the money to send them out. I know of Quilts Of Valor, but their "rules" are too restricted. I want to make my quilts from jeans, and they wouldn't be accepted. Also, I like to do my own quilting, and they don't allow meandering, which is a very acceptable method of quilting.
    Do any of you from Minnesota know of any other charity groups that accept quilts for wounded soldiers, and don't have the many restrictions that QOV has?

Do you have a veteran's hospital near by? If so, call them and ask what their requirements are.

yes. And bring them there. Hand them out to someone who needs help. they won't turn that away.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    What a kind thing your doing! I agree with the others, check with your local veterans home or veterans organization.
    Luv Quilts and Cats
    Never underestimate the healing effects of beauty. - Florence Nightingale

thank you for those quick replies. I've read articles from the VA, here, and they asking people to "stop quilting. They have enough quilts"!!

Maybe instead of wounded soldiers you could make some quilts for your local homeless shelter, or maybe your area has children's group homes that are in need of quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by Aria View Post
    thank you for those quick replies. I've read articles from the VA, here, and they asking people to "stop quilting. They have enough quilts"!!
    Is there a Fisher House near your VA hospital? They put up the families when visiting wounded soldiers, and probably would be thrilled to have a stash of quilts on hand. Here's their website: www.fisherhouse.org .

okay, I guess Minnesota has enough. if you are really wanting to help veterans, there are other states. Pick another state, or consider another way to help families of people who are serving. Look at maybe sending quilts to their families while they are away. Comfort comes in many forms.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Blog Entries
    I just Googled QOV and it doesn't exclude meandering. I'm not sure the quilt on my machine has consistent stitches in the required stitch length, but I'm going to send it. It is not red, white and blue, but not everyone wants RW&B.

Thank you for that info. I just sent an e-mail to the woman in charge in Minnesota.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast