Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilts that you make to sell??

Quilts that you make to sell??

Quilts that you make to sell, how do you price them? I'm thinking i may try to start selling some of my quilts, and I have no idea on how to price them...I know you never get paid for your time thouigh..

I don't know, I don't sell mine, just give away to family, friends and some people I don't even know.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

People tend to be more attracted to items with a clear price (instead of having to ask) and a description of the quilt. Before I quilted or knew anything about quilting, a description would have drawn me closer to buying a quilt.

ex: "Evening Star": custom made 100% cotton quilt with cotton batting; hunter's star blocks with needle turn applique flowers in the border and hand stitched binding. 60"x70" custom machine quilted and perfect as a sofa throw, lap quilt or wall hanging.

Keep receipts for materials in your project box (or estimate cost of scraps) plus an idea of the amount of time to complete. When someone asks, you can state the cost of the materials and the number of hours of labor to produce.

Blog Entries
    A friend of mine owned a quilt shop and had to close it and brought home all of the fabric that did not sell at the end and started to make quilts to sell and said that all she could get out of them was the cost of the fabric - nothing for her labor - so she quit.
    Nikki in MO

When I did craft shows the general rule was materials times 3..If you have a lot of hours in a quilt, maybe add the amount of materials plus a set amount per hour for labor..It is hard to determine, not knowing how quickly you work, or how intricate the quilting pattern

I'm finding a good market in t-shirt quilts. Since it's more of a personal item, people are willing to spend the money on it. Just finished my 3rd one. I charge $16/shirt. For an average quilt of 20 shirts I get paid $320. Only took me two days to prep and assemble the whole quilt top. Hopefully I can set it up on my longarm next weekend to finish it.

I was in Cracker Barrell for breakfast and their quilts are around $200 for a full/queen.....BUT they are also made in a sweat shop in China. That makes me so mad!
    Fat Quarters have fewer calories than a Hot Fudge Sundae!
    http://debsquiltsandthings.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    I dont make quilts with the intention of selling but have sold several that were shown at quilt shows. I always get my price. Heres how I price them. I figure up yardage including backing and binding at current prices and triple that. Even if I got the fabric on sale or using fabric left from another project. Then I add in actual price of batting, long arming and embellishments. (usually crystals if any). For example if I use 15 yards of fabric @ $10 (or more now days) that would be $450. Then lets say $25 for batting, $150 long arming, $50 for crystals if any.. Adds up fast. I never sell a quilt for less than what is calculated. I sell enough to pay for my habit. All the ones I sell are quilted by check!

Quote Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
    I dont make quilts with the intention of selling but have sold several that were shown at quilt shows. I always get my price. Heres how I price them. I figure up yardage including backing and binding at current prices and triple that. Even if I got the fabric on sale or using fabric left from another project. Then I add in actual price of batting, long arming and embellishments. (usually crystals if any). For example if I use 15 yards of fabric @ $10 (or more now days) that would be $450. Then lets say $25 for batting, $150 long arming, $50 for crystals if any.. Adds up fast. I never sell a quilt for less than what is calculated. I sell enough to pay for my habit. All the ones I sell are quilted by check!

What does "quilted by check" mean?
    Kitsy

I was wondering the same thing.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast