Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
R.I.P. Rowenta >

R.I.P. Rowenta

R.I.P. Rowenta

Old 03-27-2012, 09:49 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Originally Posted by pinkberrykay View Post
For those of you who have Reliable irons, which model do you own.
I own the Velocity by Reliable. I love the steam. I love that you can bypass the shut off. I do not like where they put the control button. It's at the top of the handle. I constantly accidentally push the button when I'm ironing and when I come back to the iron, it's at the lowest setting. I wrote about this I think on this thread. I still have the box and am thinking about calling the company because I paid $129 and I am unhappy with where the controls are. I'm hoping they may trade me for a different Reliable. One gal that sells them said she had the same problem until she really worked on putting her hand lower on the handle. I've tried doing that, but have failed. I'm just hoping they are a good company and will help me out. I've had it for 9 months and after 2 weeks, put it away and then just recently started using it again, so it's like almost new. The steam it puts out is awesome!!! Nothing like it! It actually roars when you turn on the steam!
Old 03-27-2012, 10:37 AM

I too loved my Rowenta, till the day it leaked water out the back and ruined two blouses. Went to get another at Joanns, but the darling sales associate made a mistake. She told me I could use my 1/2 price coupon on the Eliso. Needless to say I am learning to love it. Does not have the as many holes and is not as heavy, but for $70 less, it'll do. Agnes
Old 03-27-2012, 10:41 AM

I guess I'm lucky. I've never had any problems with my Rowenta and I love it!
Old 03-27-2012, 01:28 PM

I don't know if my Rowenta is fully dead or not. The dial to set the temperature at lost its stopping point. So when you turn the dial around it keeps going around and around. The iron does come on, and sometimes real hot, sometimes not so hot. At the time it did this last, I unplugged it and put it aside to cool down. this is only Rowenta I've ever owned. Not a good impression, I've only had it about a year!

The old Sunbeam my DH bought for $1 at an auction, works wonderfully. I have it plugged into a power cord with a light bulb plugged into it as well. If the light bulb is on, so is the power strip. I haven't left an iron on since my DH gave me that help. This old iron doesn't do steam, but I don't use steam that often. With the power cord system, i don't have to worry about leaving it on unattended.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:44 PM

I had a Rowenta for 16 years. Great. So I bought another one. From the monute I pluggyed it in the water ran so I contacted where I bought it and they had me send it back and they sent me another one. Same story. I am frustrated. You'd think for that price they would make a better iron. So, now I have a cheapie and I'm not totally satisfied but can't afford another one.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:45 PM

I have a Rowenta and will never purchase another one. The first one I had steamed so much there was a puddle on the floor under the ironing board. I retured it and the store gave me another one. THe one I have now is almost 2 years old. It leaks and leaks. Every time you tip it to iron water pours out of the back end down my leg. About a tbsp at a time. It is awful. I can't put water in it any more it is so bad. I emailed Rowenta and they told me I was SOL. I am going to try taking it back to Bed Bath and Beyond. An iron that cost over $100 should last a lot longer. My old iron was a Black and Decker from a yard sale and it lasted 25 years.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:38 PM

I don't mean to be obnoxious here or hurt anyone's feelings, but I just don't understand why anyone still buys these expensive irons. They have to have the worst reputation of any home appliance I've ever heard. I just don't get it. I always read reviews before making purchases, especially for over $100.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:48 PM

I have two Rowentas. The first one is about 12 years old and still going strong.
My newer one,The Pro Master, that I bought for my sewing room is five months old and I truly
love it. The steam is great. I just can't say enough about it. I have heard some say they had
problems with the Rowenta but I recommend it highly.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:24 AM

I've had a Rowenta steam generator system for about 10 years - finally died. BooHoo. Bought a $29 one at WalMart and it's ok but Rowenta spoiled me for steam. The switch went out and I have a friend that may be able to fix it but I'll have to plug it in & out instead of turning it on/off. If he can't fix it - I'll have to get another. Only draw back is that it has a separate base to hold the water & you can't move it around like you can a regular iron.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:41 AM

I can't find it now, but I just read on "Allbrands" website that any home steam iron is designed for use a maximum of 20 hours per week and should be expected to last 3-4 years. Most of the time mine is on longer than that in a typical week for sure....hmmmmm.