Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rag Quilt Issues Lint buildup >

Rag Quilt Issues Lint buildup

Rag Quilt Issues Lint buildup

Old 11-15-2013, 07:24 AM

Default Rag Quilt Issues Lint buildup

I have always wanted to make a rag quilt and have had NOTHING but problems with this one. I found this pattern and I had a lot of denim material from a deceased friend and I was looking for something to make a memorial quilt with. I've pinned it and here tute looks easy enough: http://www.crystelleboutique.com/1/p...rag-quilt.html

Anyway, I didn't use fleece, I used lumberjack looking flannel plaids. I was having massive problems with the flannel stretching everywhere, so I went ahead and stitched an X in each square. I'm about to start stitching them all together into rows.

Anyway, I am using a jeans needle along with denim thread. Now I don't know if it's the jeans, the thread or the flannel, but I have MASSIVE lint build up around the walking foot, down inside the needle plate, surrounding the drop in bobbin area. It's just everywhere. Is there anything I can do to reduce the build up? Perhaps I should switch thread manufacturers? I know people have issues with C&C, but I use it regularly and have had no problems with it until using the denim thread.

Any suggestions? I'm completely taking everything apart every bobbin change, brushing it all out wiping it all down and starting it again. It has so much build up, that I probably should stop mid-bobbin and clean it out, but that's a real pain.

TIA!
Old 11-15-2013, 07:28 AM

I don't know about the thread, but flannel leaves a lot of lint.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

Flannel is very linty. I starch my flannel stiff before cutting and that helps a lot.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:03 AM

Did you prewash the flannel? Unwashed flannel is notorious, for lint. I usually wash/dry the stuff twice, before using it.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:09 AM

A word of caution: The beauty of a rag quilt comes from its "ragged" look. But they shed terribly, and you have to be very careful about your washing machine and dryer because of all the lint. I would recommend taking it to a laundromat for at least the first washing. I made a cotton bag that I use for laundering my rag quilts, but it still is necessary to clean out the lint filters (I clean out the dryer lint filter every 10 minutes when drying a rag quilt).

I do not recommend rag quilts for babies or toddlers, who may suck or chew on them. Threads or pieces of material easily detach and can cause a baby or toddler to choke.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:26 AM

I've made several rag quilts with denim and flannel. Both the denim and flannel were from clothing so were washed many times before I recycled it into quilts. I use regular thread and size 16 needle in stitching all pieces together. I do have some lint buildup and find that I have to clean the bobbin area a couple of times during the stitching. I just figured it goes with the project. Those rag quilts make perfect picnic quilts and quilts for the porch swing .... and the big dogs just love them! I look forward to seeing yours when it is done.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:51 AM

Linty fabric is linty fabric. Unless it is already well used, like recycled denim.

Yes, you will have to constantly clean your machine but it is worth it. You might try the denim side down and see if it is less linty that way.

I always take mine to the laundromat when finished. I just get them very wet and then put in the large dryer without any heat. I get a lot of exercise removing lint from the dryer in this process. Kinda fun, esp since it isn't in my home machine.

I do use the rag snips and do very small cuts to the seam line. This way there is much more ragging going on.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:15 AM
Power Poster

Be careful when you wash it!!! I always took mine for it's first wash at a commercial Laundromat. My friend had to call a plumber out because her drainage got clogged up from washing new rag rugs!! I would just keep on cleaning your machine more often than normal and even a light oiling just to make sure there is no wear on your machine!!
Old 11-15-2013, 11:39 AM

I concur - just keep cleaning you machine with each bobbin change. The recommendation to go to a laundromat for the first few washes is a good one too. The quilts shed a lot when first ragged - I think I washed and dried the last one twice before I headed home.

Cheers, K
Old 11-15-2013, 11:41 AM

The flannel was sliding all over the place, so I've had that on the bottom. Once I start stitching the squares together maybe it'll be different. I do need to pickup more thread. I know about the laundromat thing, and that's where it's going. It'll be a memorial quilt for our best man, from our wedding, his brother. They are all in their 50s so no worries about babies or toddlers and stuff like that. Flannel was hard to cut. All of it was washed several times I'm sure as it was almost all clothes that it came from.

I appreciate the encouragement cause this one is a pain in the butt. I'm going to post pics when I get home.