Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rag Quilt looks used! >

Rag Quilt looks used!

Rag Quilt looks used!

Old 06-18-2016, 04:06 AM

pal - sorry that happened to you. I've learned from it. I am also Leary to wash before giving but I do wash fabric before making a quilt. Does it really look that bad? If not just explain that it is a rag quilt and that is the look.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:35 PM

Did you use quilting flannel or regular PJ flannel?

I have made quite a few rag quilts, but all with quilting flannel, all were washed before being given away.. I also would never wash them with towels, too much lint in the towels.

Actually the above is not quite true. I made several dog quilts with a UFO I picked up in a thrift shop. The flannel was not quilting flannel, and it pilled, bled and did not look too nice, but I figured dogs do not care too much about how their quilt looks.

It is too bad the fabric did not stand up as expected.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:45 PM

If piling is the problem, a fabric shaver works great to restore the new look to the flannel.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Conair-Fa...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

Ask me how i know...i don't like to use to much flannel in my rag quilts because cotton looks better after washing.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:56 PM

I use whatever flannel and prewash it. It's sandwiched in between muslin and quilting cotton so if it pills, no one sees it. Stays in the same condition, doesn't collect cat hair for no reason and washes the same way every time except the open ends get raggier.

I can't stand the feel of flannel anyway.

Last edited by Weezy Rider; 06-18-2016 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:00 AM

Default I think the towels were the problem

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post
I use whatever flannel and prewash it. It's sandwiched in between muslin and quilting cotton so if it pills, no one sees it. Stays in the same condition, doesn't collect cat hair for no reason and washes the same way every time except the open ends get raggier.

I can't stand the feel of flannel anyway.
I think the towels could have shed a little and stuck to the flannel, plus rubbing back and forth on the flannel would do it too. Next time wash it alone, I am sure it will be better. Also higher quality material tends to not ball up as much.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:33 AM
Power Poster

I have had flannel that behaved perfectly - very little shrinkage, no pilling - some of it came from WalMart - several years ago.

I have also had flannel that did all the above - shrank, pilled, raveled, and faded.

In my opinion, the advantage to washing fabric before cutting it - if it has bad manners - one knows before incorporating it into something.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:49 PM

Jane Quilter's reply was very informative. I've bought a little solid flannel at JAF and have not been happy with it. I usually avoid using it. It just looks raggedy--too raggedy!
Old 06-21-2016, 03:18 AM

Wash the quilt again without the towels. If you decide to give the quilt, then include a card with the gift or add to the label something like this: "Handmade with love especially for xxxxxx by xxxxx. This is a old-fashioned rag quilt. The weathered look makes this quilt extra comfy and perfect for tummy time both inside and outside. A rag quilt is intended to be used, and when it needs it, just wash it and it will become even more soft and comfy."
Old 06-21-2016, 06:32 PM

I made a rag quilt too but only with brushed flannel from my LQS. Yes you pay more but I didn't have any of the problems. Had it for at least 15 years and it gets used every day.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:47 AM

My favorite rag quilt I've made is from Homespun fabric. I ended up giving my flannel one to someone up north who has brittle winters. Once when I was traveling to a quilt show on a quilt bus, I saw a lady using her Homespun rag quilt- and I fell in love with the look. Made one and it ended up not only looking good, but awesome weight and cuddly as well. (I always wash any quilt as soon as its finished. I wash it alone and add a couple color catcher sheets to the wash cycle. I add fabric softener and machine dry.) Comparable to a loaf of fresh from the oven home made bread. Both look good, smell good and give the feeling of a great accomplishment that was well worth the effort!