Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rag quilt scissors?

Has anyone heard of such a thing? I read where someone refered to such but I haven't ever heard of them? Have you? I wonder if they are useing applique' scissors (I know my spelling probably isn't right but I don't want to look it up). :(

DebJ - Yes and I highly recommend them. You use them to snip the seams so when you wash the quilt it will ravel and give it that raggy look. The scissors are spring loaded ( I think that's what you call it ), so your hand doesn't get tired from doing all that snipping. I have done a couple of rag quilts - the first with regular scissors, the last one with the rag scissors. What a difference :!: :!: :!: Did the quilt inabout half the time too. Hope this helps. :roll:

I did my first rag quilt with regular scissors and boy did my hands hurt and it too forever. Then someone on her recommended the rag quilt scissors. I got mine at Joann's with a 50% off coupon only ended up paying about $9 for them Fiskars brand. That was the best investment I could have made. I would not make another rag quilt without them.

I would definitely recommend paying the price and getting the scissors, they are worth the price. This is what they look like.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I highly recommend the Fiskars brand. I have those and also some pretty pink handled ones called Spring-Cut. After clipping 2 quilts the Spring-Cut scissors no longer clip all the way to the point. The Fiskars have been used on at least 5 quilts and they still clip all the way to the point. they definitely cost more but I'm glad I have them.
    Mindy

Oh, DebJ, I really highly recommend the Fiskars spring scissors. I have arthritis and they allowed me to work at my own pace with no pain from cutting. I love them, I paid full price of $15.98, but have already used them that much $ worth.

Hugs,
    Sharon

me too, sharon. i have more than gotten my moneys worth. am getting ready to make 2 more rags for xmas and i will be able to clip, clip, clip without the hassle and pain of using scissors. :wink:

I highly recommend a fiskars scissors sharpener........I have dollar store clippers and fiskars keeps them working . Its under 10 dollars. and works great :D

Debj
    I heard that spring loaded scissors are the best to use when making rag quilts you can see a picture of someone cutting the seams for a rag quilt here ...........
    http://quilting.about.com/od/ragquiltpatterns/ss/rag_quilt_basic_3.htm

Pepper

are they available in ontario, canada

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast