Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Rag Quilt

Rag Quilt

What size squares are normally used in making a rag quilt? That would make a good "sitting in the living room watching TV project". Can you use 5" charms? Do you cut up to the the seams before you make the sandwich?
    Last edited by KimS; 01-17-2012 at 05:31 AM.
    Kim

Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones

Blog Entries
    You can use 5" charms but remember at least an inch of that is going into your seams ( 1/2" seam) and I think a lot of times it's more it's more than 1/2" seam. So it's going to take a lot more blocks to get the desired size. JMHO I think 7 or 8 inch blocks would be more ideal.
    Joyce

Quote Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
    You can use 5" charms but remember at least an inch of that is going into your seams ( 1/2" seam) and I think a lot of times it's more it's more than 1/2" seam. So it's going to take a lot more blocks to get the desired size. JMHO I think 7 or 8 inch blocks would be more ideal.
    Good point. I'd forgotten about that. Thanks!
    Kim

Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones

I used 6" squares in mine. It is 9 squares by 9 squares, which made a 41" x 41" throw. The dogs love it.
    April
    Is there a doctor in the house? I just got bit by the quilting bug!

The choice is yours. I usually use 1" seam allowances and have done up to 9" blocks and it looked great. With the 1" seam allowance that makes them really 7" blocks. Though I could make smaller seam allowances.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Blog Entries
    I made a baby themed rag quilt quilt using 5 inch flannel blocks. For this use the 5 inch block worked fine.

The absolutely best rag quilt I ever saw for using on the sofa was made of 5" VELVET blocks, not velveteen. It was as soft as minkee but elegant and very grown-up looking. It was trimmed in plain old satin blanket edging and was beautiful!.

j
    You don't cut until they are alll sewn together - unless it is an Accuquilt pattern where it is already cut- but good job for watching TV when the quilt is all sewn together. - j

Do you use your own washer and dryer or go to the laundramat. I'm concerned about all the threads in the washer and lines.
    Converted from City to Country

Do go to the laundramat and try to use those spring-type sissors for cutting the seam allowances

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast