Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: rag quilts using regular cotton fabric?

bj
    I've made rag quilts out of flannel and homespun. Is it possible to make them out of regular cotton fabric. I'd like to try it, but hate to waste fabric if it doesn't work or if they don't hold up. What do y'all think? Have you ever done one out of quilting cotton?

Quote Originally Posted by bj
    I've made rag quilts out of flannel and homespun. Is it possible to make them out of regular cotton fabric. I'd like to try it, but hate to waste fabric if it doesn't work or if they don't hold up. What do y'all think? Have you ever done one out of quilting cotton?
    Yes. I have a WIP that is cotton. I started it a little over a year ago. My SIL (live2teach) has made them and LOTS of raggedy purses from regular quilters' cotton. It works great. YOu can use batting in the center or flannel. If you use flannel, it give it an extra layer and more of a "frayed" or "raggedy" look.

Yes, I've done a couple with quilting cotton. I used batting but like the idea of flannel. It would make it easier to cut and sew since you wouldn't have to allow for the seam allowance like you do with batting.

I have made them w/flannel on the back, quilting cotton on the front and flannel in the middle. Works great.

I have made several with just cotton and put flannel in the middle. Here is a pic of one that is just cotton and flannel.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

bj
    Thanks y'all. How far apart do you clip the seams? About the same as with the other fabrics?

Yes, just do it the same way as with an all flannel one. I clipped about every 1/2 inch or so.

Beautiful quilt ccbear :!:

Also works great with denim. Or denim with cotton or flannel. I use 1" seams makes them nice and fluffy.

Yes, my first rag quilt (see post) was with regular quilting cotton. It was fine.

judee