Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
the rag shop >

the rag shop

the rag shop

Old 03-07-2010, 09:44 AM

hello. I am a newbie from UK. Can you help. I visited Fort Lauderdale a few years ago and visited the rag shop in, I think, Oakwood Plaza. It was not far from Hollywood, as the folks I was visiting lived there. From what I can gather, it seems that the rag shops have closed. Can anyone confirm this, as I am visiting Fort Lauderdale on a cruise next month and would love to go there again. If it has closed can any of you recommend somewhere where i can buy fabric, not too far from the cruise ship port
Old 03-07-2010, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

From what I could find on the web, all 61 locations of the Rag Shop were closed in 2007 when the corporation went out of business (apparently from bad management after a takeover three years prior).

You may need to start a new post asking where to shop for fabric in Fort Lauderdale near the port.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:33 AM

Thanks for that. What a shame , it was an alladins cave. I loved it
Old 03-07-2010, 02:45 PM

Rag Shops in New Jersey closed a few years ago. I really like the one that used to be near me, their fabric was inexpensive and nicer than Joann's. May in Jersey
Old 03-08-2010, 06:48 AM

There should be a Joann Fabrics near the port. Not sure of any specific location that close to the port. The is a wonderful large quilt store in Margate, (about 10 miles west of the port) They also have an online store. It is called Sunshine Sewing and is on Copans Rd and Banks Rd. Very easy to google or go to www.sunshinesewing.com

Hope you enjoy your stay when you are here.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:50 AM

Also, the "quilting by the sea" show will be here in the middle of March, when will you be visiting. If after that, I will keep looking for fabric stores close to the port and will post any findings on this website for you.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:16 AM

I live in the town in NJ where the original RAG SHOP started. My mother worked there when I was in High School. The man who bought the chain from Mr B. did not do a good job. He only had the co a couple of years before he had to close all of them. My girlfriend and I called it our "Home away from home" we shopped there every week. Sometimes daily!
Still miss it when I go down to where it was.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:55 AM

Thank you all for your replies. I will not br there for the show, but I would have loved to attend
Sall