Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: A rather silly question...

I'm wondering...

Do ball point needles ever go dull?
    I've been using one for quite some time now and it's still doing a wonderful job going thru the fabric for the donation blankets.

So would it get rounder? Or more pointed? I think this is a great question and one I've never seen addressed!

All needles get dull after a while. The constant motion in and out of the fabric will cause friction and wear on the needle.

I guess all needles would go dull after a while but aren't they dull already.

That's what I was thinking too, they technically are already dull-ish.

I think it was a good question. I've never used any. And, I only know the usual and normal stuff. I need a course in what kind of fabric and needles go together and details like that. Maybe a couple more ounces of smarts to put it all together !

Can't help ya on the answer, but good to see you posting again!
    HUGS!

Blog Entries
    wow! that really is a good question. a genuine head-scratcher. right up there with "if a tree falls in the woods and there's nobody there to hear it ... does it make a noise?"

and ... if it does get "dull" ... does that make it better? or worse?

i'm so glad i don't have any ballpoint needles. i'd end up spending my day playing with it to find out.

i've recently noticed that by the time my pointy needles need a change they've not only become dull, they've become ever-so-slightly crooked. i can't see it, but it's just enough to take the needle's eye out of line with my auto-threader. i was beginning to think my threader had stopped working and was really irritated about it because my machine is only a few months old. then i stuck in a new needle and it worked perfectly again.

my point being (sorry ... couldn't resist the pun) that you might want to watch for other types of needle wear - not only whether or not the tip is still permorming the way it's supposed to.

Blog Entries
    Good question! Don't know the answer..but isn't the ball point needle more for sewing with knits? I am not so sure i would use it for piecing or quilting..

You working on knits? That is what you use a ball point for right? Hummm have to ponder on that one LOL

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast