Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ravelry free patterns-FYI

I just received a message from them stating that passwords need to be changed on their site. The site has been comprised and they can't be sure the passwords have a problem but they want it changed. They said no finacial info was gotten into because they don't keep it. Sue

Blog Entries
    Don't do it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy
    Don't do it.
    Don't do what? YOU don't do Ravelry or is this a suggestion not to change the password?

There is a BIG notice on their homepage recommending password change. I'm very cautious about emails asking for changes to any accounts i have so i checked it out. this does look legit, altho i did not recieve an email from them. I also have not bought anything from this site, i go for the freebies

Give them a call Mon.

Quote Originally Posted by eastermarie
    Give them a call Mon.
    Good advice.
    Be suspicious of any email requesting info. It could be "phishing". Banks, cc etc. will NOT email you asking fo sensitive information

Blog Entries
    I checked out their twitter and they are saying that they did send the email and that they do want you to change your password
    http://twitter.com/#!/ravelry

Blog Entries
    What am I missing here? If Ravelry has already been hacked, what is the point of changing your password? That is, if the "hackers" already have your password, and you use that same password for other sites, shouldn't you be warned to change the password for only those other places?

I couldn't care less if someone can see the patterns that I view on a free site, it's the ones such as banks, bills, etc.

Am I making sense here?

Blog Entries
    Sorry what is Ravelry?

Quote Originally Posted by kathome
    What am I missing here? If Ravelry has already been hacked, what is the point of changing your password? That is, if the "hackers" already have your password, and you use that same password for other sites, shouldn't you be warned to change the password for only those other places?

I couldn't care less if someone can see the patterns that I view on a free site, it's the ones such as banks, bills, etc.

Am I making sense here?
    they do advise in the email to change your password on all other sites where you use the same password.

never go directly to the site from the warning email. go directly to the site from your address line.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast