Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Raw edge applique - can it be done on my longarm?

Raw edge applique - can it be done on my longarm?

I've been looking at the Lizzie B Cr8tive patterns which include a lot of raw edge applique. And I realized - that seems like something I can do on my longarm...? It seems like it would work... I dunno. Thoughts? And do you usually use fusible web? Or just take a piece of fabric and stitch it down?

Thanks!
    Nothing's a mistake. It's a learning experience. Some experiences, you learn more than others.

My 2012 resolution: Be happy and finish lots of UFOs!

I longarm but wouldn't attempt that on mine...I'm sure it's been done by somebody on the Board but I doubt mine would look very good...good luck! When I do mine on my DSM, I use fusible web, makes things easier.
    Last edited by momto5; 11-17-2011 at 04:24 PM. Reason: clarification
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Lived in San Diego now retired in Eagar, AZ.
    Blog Entries
    do it all the time and love it...i serpentine some pcs, straight along edge on others, zigzag like lightening on some, and then 'watermark' over the whole pc occasionally... add stem lines, floral details, round 'cheek' marks (that kind of back and forth curved stitching that makes things look rounded?, sliced apples and pears are easy and then you can add 'seeds' and stems and a leaf or two with just machine stitching...put a cloud on with little close edge stitch and then put a lightening bolt in stitching right under it... there is no end to what you can think of as you work...new ideas will just suggest themselves to you...

I fuse mine and then do the straight edge stitching on the long arm. Love it! Why don't you try a practice piece?
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deemail View Post
    do it all the time and love it...i serpentine some pcs, straight along edge on others, zigzag like lightening on some, and then 'watermark' over the whole pc occasionally... add stem lines, floral details, round 'cheek' marks (that kind of back and forth curved stitching that makes things look rounded?, sliced apples and pears are easy and then you can add 'seeds' and stems and a leaf or two with just machine stitching...put a cloud on with little close edge stitch and then put a lightening bolt in stitching right under it... there is no end to what you can think of as you work...new ideas will just suggest themselves to you...
    Huhhhhh? Got a picture or two?
    http://napquilting.com/
    http://alturl.com/euusk

My GOAL is always to ENJOY EVERY STEP of the quilting process....

I wouldn't be able to do it on my longarm, but if you think you can it wouldn't hurt to try on a sample. I do use fusible web. I don't think you would get as nice a stitch around the edge if you didn't.

Why not on your longarm?

Quote Originally Posted by lfletcher View Post
    I wouldn't be able to do it on my longarm, but if you think you can it wouldn't hurt to try on a sample. I do use fusible web. I don't think you would get as nice a stitch around the edge if you didn't.
    Nothing's a mistake. It's a learning experience. Some experiences, you learn more than others.

My 2012 resolution: Be happy and finish lots of UFOs!

BMP
    Blog Entries
    I have fused it and then did an Edge to Edge...works perfectly