Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
rayon thread mesh cover ? >

rayon thread mesh cover ?

rayon thread mesh cover ?

Old 01-22-2012, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
How do you keep your rayon thread from raveling off the spool? I have an upright box with pegs for alot of them, but the ones that just get dropped into a box could have a mesh cover or something wrapped around them. I'm looking for a "homemade" fix.... rather not have to go out & buy anything if possible, thanks.

Homemade????????? how about taking a bit of panty hose and make a "sock" for your spool with only one end open.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:15 PM

i use the mesh wrappers when sewing with the thread, but if you have enough, use it for storage too. I use the children's hair bands from the dollar store for storing the embroidery thread. A few of the mesh wrappers came with my machine, so it is enough to use for now. I will check out the florist next time I'm out.

The panty hose idea sounds like an easy solution also.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:33 PM

I sometimes tape the end with the medical paper tape. It works really well also. Not as sticky as clear tape and is reusable.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
What's so special about re-enforcements? Then just use any adhesive label or part of.

A word of caution when you start using adhesives ... you could gum up your threads and create problems. Just a thought!
I agree - don't want to buy one more special thing! A small piece of painters tape works just as well and it can be used for many other purposes - including painting!
Old 01-23-2012, 09:21 AM

I asked my local grocery store to save the flower nets they threw away. When I got them I cut to spool size slipped on.
Worked perfect! The down side after a while they do stretch, but not a big deal just get more nets

Hope that helps
dawn227

Also for bobbin thread you can get a piece of plastic tubing. Cut a slit in top player then trim to bobbin size
Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
How do you keep your rayon thread from raveling off the spool? I have an upright box with pegs for alot of them, but the ones that just get dropped into a box could have a mesh cover or something wrapped around them. I'm looking for a "homemade" fix.... rather not have to go out & buy anything if possible, thanks.