Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
re-binding a quilt >

re-binding a quilt

re-binding a quilt

Old 11-12-2014, 05:58 PM

I do suggest that since the quilt has been washed a lot that the fabric you intend to use be laundered prior to attaching the binding no matter the method.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:20 PM
Power Poster

The only issue with trimming is that if it is hand quilted, you don't want to trim any of the quilting threads.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:19 AM

I think once you see the quilt you will know what to do. My first preference would be to sew a new binding over the top of the old one and my second preference to cut the old one off and start again. Best of luck!
Old 11-15-2014, 01:43 PM

I also agree, cut the worn binding off and start fresh.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:31 PM

Why is it necessary to wash it so often? I'd suggest that she switch out her quilts to make them last longer. Some folks use detergent that is too harsh also. Have her do some research on detergents.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
Why is it necessary to wash it so often? I'd suggest that she switch out her quilts to make them last longer. Some folks use detergent that is too harsh also. Have her do some research on detergents.
The quilt was made 17 years ago. If it has been in use all that time, and only the bindings are worn- I thnk that may have come from just handling it.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by judykay View Post
About 17 yrs ago I hand quilted a whole cloth quilt for my daughter for her wedding. She has informed me that because she washes it so often the binding is all frayed and want me to fix it. My question is do I remove the old binding or re-bind over the old binding. I do not know how badly it is frayed as she has not shown it to me, just asked if I could fix it.
I'd try to remove the old one. If it's difficult, I'd just bind over. you'll be using white or cream, right? I'd think the worn binding might show thru.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
The quilt was made 17 years ago. If it has been in use all that time, and only the bindings are worn- I thnk that may have come from just handling it.
It gets so dirty because she allows the three dogs on the bed. This does not make me happy but it is not mine and she knows how I feel.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:48 PM

The bad news is that she lets her beloved dogs sleep on the bed.

The very excellent good news is that she loves the quilt and uses it. So many quilters on this board have written sad stories of their quilts never being used. Either put away "to save" or the recipient decides it isn't their "style".

As for the binding, once you see the quilt, you can decide what to do: I'd put new binding over the old if possible.

At some future date when you decide to make her a new quilt, I definitely wouldn't hand quilt it.

Just sayin' .........