Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
RE: janome questions >

RE: janome questions

RE: janome questions

Old 08-25-2009, 04:18 PM

Since I have to replace my sewing machine I've noticed several on the board here own Janome's. Since I am under a tight budget I have a few questions if you don't mind answering them: Does Janome offer any interest free programs with payments per month? Which machine would you recommend for an intermediate level as me? I don't have a dealer close by, the closest is over an hour away. Any answers would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-25-2009, 04:23 PM
Power Poster

I don't know if you are looking for an embroidery or sewing machine, but Kenmore is made my Janome if it helps any.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:25 PM

I have a Janome 6600. I like it but if I had to do it over again I would not buy this machine. THere are a few things it cannpt do that I would like and the support is not there. If you go to the Bernina site there are dozens of videos for the use of the machine. On the Janome site no such animal.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:30 PM

I have a Kenmore made by Janome and it's a great machine. It is advertised as a quilting/heirloom sewing/home dec sewing machine. What features are important to you?
Old 08-25-2009, 04:33 PM

I have three Janomes and would not buy anything else. they have a large variety of machines and prices are varible. You need to try them out, get a dealer you can trust. My machines have never given me a bit of trouble and one I have had for 13 yrs. Also the extra feet for the machines, depending on what you want are much less expensive than other brands. You should try and list what features you want on a machine. Such as walking foot, qtr. inch foot etc. depending on what you are going to use it for. You can get a decent machine from Janome for around $500. Good luck in whatever you decide. Marge
Old 08-25-2009, 04:35 PM

I agree that Janome's customer support could be better. When the bobbin winder stopped working on my Janome 6500, the repairman at the store couldn't figure out what was wrong. They told me I would have to send it back to the company for repair. It was under warranty so there was no repair charge, but I had to pay to ship it (the shipping wasn't cheap).

If you have a Bernina dealer close, they often have used sewing machines with full warranties. People often trade in their Bernina machines just because they want the newest model each year.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:46 PM
Power Poster

Kenmore machines are great. For a while they were bottom line now that White is manufacturing them, they are back to being top of the line. And Sears has low monthly payments! Check out the high end Kenmore. Great price for that machine. It will be my next new machine if I need another.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:48 PM

I have two Janome, love them both! Depending on what you want, the older kenmore's and singer's are agreat value. Not as fancy, but real workhorses. I have a Singer 51 model and would like a singrer 301 sometime. Again, great value.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:45 PM

Love my Janome 6600. I was able to put my machine on lay-away at sale price, 20% down, make payments as I could. So far, I have not had any problems. As I was taught, clean your machine in between projects or after 15 hours of sewing, change needle with every new project ie: one full sized quilt or 2 wall hangings, etc.

I was under the impression that Kenmore was made by White and not Janome. If I am incorrect, I apologize.

I agree about the online help. Janome has a long way to go to beat Bernina in this area.

Whatever you decide, get what you know you need. Think about how often you will use the 'bells and whistles' and if you don't need them don't get them.What you think you need on a machine, may not really be what you will use. Make sure you research the net about the different machines and what they can do for you. Enjoy whatever you get and make sure you get lessons on how to use your machine if possible.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:59 PM

i love my janome - 15 yrs and counting. when i got sick i didn't sew for almost three years, and believe or not, i couldn't get it together again. i couldn't even find my stuff, including the manual. i wrote to the company explaining what happened and they sent me everything that i was missing,
no charge. they have my loyalty for life. i have the memory craft 8000. it embroiders with cards and has a good range of stitch widths and lengths, needle up/down, spool up or sideways, some other good features for the age. when i got it, it was their top of the line. my daughter has two steps up from the bottom and loves it, too.

depending on what you buy, the seller may or may not offer monthly payment plans. as i understand that, it's his option.

i know that there's a janome distribution center in new jersey although it may not be factory. where do you live? can you buy at a show? they're usually less expensive. also look on ebay. make sure it's new and has the warranty. figure in the shipping.

good luck.