Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Re:magazine for beginner???? >

Re:magazine for beginner????

Re:magazine for beginner????

Old 01-17-2009, 11:34 AM
Administrator

i got a subscription to the electronic version of Quilter's World. news stand price is $5.99. mailed subscription is $21.95, including postage, which comes to $3.66 per issue. electronic is $14.97 ($2.50 per issue). the subscription price includes access to their online archive of back issues. it goes back two years. sooooo .... let's see ... haul out the calculator again ... the first year is actually three years, so that's like 83 cents an issue.

it's a hoot, really. the digital magazine has everything the paper version does - including all the advertisements. no escaping those, i guess. :lol:

here's a link to a free sample issue from Dec 08: https://digital.quilters-world.com/

************** just soze ya know i'm NOT a paid spokesperson for QW, here's info about another magazine i've subscribed to in the past *****

a membership in the American Quilters' Society is $25. it includes 6 issues of their magazine. according to their website, this year's subscription includes a free copy of a book about mosaic applique. the book sells for $23. sounds like a deal to me.

the magazine features high end quilts and techniques, but a lot of the ideas could be used to jazz up basic quilts, too. book prices on amazon are often lower than the member discounted price but they have bazillions available. you could browse and drool for days. :lol:

http://www.americanquilter.com/member_resources/

Old 01-17-2009, 12:59 PM

Sorry, Beverly. I misunderstood. I'm not thinking very clearly today with a migraine headache. I even said "IF you have a computer and can get on-line" ... DUH! I hope you find the publication that's exactly what you want.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:43 PM

The first quilting magazine I picked up was the Quilter's Newsletter Magazine - Quilting Easy Piecing in 2004. Made an easy wall, another first. Easy instructions for a newbee quilter like me.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:08 PM

There is a book called Quilting for Dummies. You might look at that. I get about 6 different magazines. Quick Quilts is my favorite. Try something like logcabin or fence rails. These type are pretty easy. Also try an Irish Chain, they are really easy. When you get into stuff like the Lamoye Stars you get into to trouble. The first thing I made with this pattern I took apart a dozen times because they weren't perfect. I can sew just about anything from Prom & wedding dress to the most simplest thing & this nearly drove me nuts. Fons & Porter aren't always that easy & you have to try & find lots of expensive stuff for them. Good luck.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:21 PM

I think there is a magazine called "Quick Quilts" and one called "Big Block Quilts" and they would be fairly simple to make. I think one of the first things to practice is making quarter inch seams. Once you get that mastered, you can make lots of patterns. A nine patch pattern is also a great block, it will teach you 1/4" seams, rotary cutting, pressing directions and lining up seams. It can be used in many ways, in borders, as alternating blocks with just plain blocks of the same finished size as the 9 patch and it really is a good pattern for learning. Also Rail Fence will teach you some of the same and those patterns can be found by googling "Free 9 patch quilt patterns or free rail fence quilt patterns.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:52 AM

I too am interested in which magazines to sub to. I buy many from the store shelves but have not decided on any 1 or 2.

One thing I do highly recommend tho for someone learning to quilt is
Carol Doak's book titled: My First Quilt Book (sub: Or at least it should be)
My sil gave this book to me when I was first learning to quilt and even now after a few years I still refer back to it quilt often.
It is very user friendly and has nice beginner projects for both machine and hand piecing.

Muriel
Old 01-19-2009, 10:31 AM

bump