Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Re:  putting together a tee-shirt quilt >

Re: putting together a tee-shirt quilt

Re: putting together a tee-shirt quilt

Old 03-10-2011, 10:58 AM

I have all the tee-shirts cut to size and lined with stabilizer, so far so good.

1. Now I am putting strips (cotton) with squares of cotton instersecting the strips. Am I supposed to interface those also? It seems that the tee-shirt sections get ahead of the cotton strips so that at the end I have maybe 1/8" inch of tee-shirt hanging by the seam line. Or should I just even it off by cutting?

2. Also, should I be using a walking foot for the seam line between the cotton strip and the tee-shirt square. Right now I am using a 1/4' seam foot and then I thought maybe it is pushing the tee-shirt square instead of gliding along.

I really appreciate any help I can get since this is all pretty new to me....but I love making this tee-shirt quilt so far.

Thanks in advance, Pauline
Old 03-10-2011, 11:26 AM

I am doing a Tshirt quilt right now too and am not stablizing the cotton sashing and it seems to be doing good. If you are getting a lot of stretching between the two fabrics I would use your walking foot or loosen your foot tension some. :-D
Old 03-10-2011, 11:33 AM

Always, always use the walking foot. I can never get mine to come out even without my walking foot.

And I wouldn't stabilize the cotton sashing.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:41 AM

Thanks! Walking foot it is. I have been sitting in front of my computer knowing I would get some advice quick ...and I did. Once again, how I love this group. Back down to the sewing machine and on with the tee-shirt quilt! Thanks you both so much who have already answered my question. Pauline
Old 03-10-2011, 11:55 AM

What a coincidence...I just watched Elinore Burns' show on T-shirt quilts...on PBS TV. You should have the T-shit square on the bottom, sashing strip on top. I have always found that the couple of seconds required to place a pin at the end of the intended seam is well worth it to be sure the ends match up. Probably should loosen the pressure foot pressure a bit, too.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:03 AM

Ok Girls- I am new to this site. My daughter wants me to make her a t-shirt quilt. I said HAHA! I have only made two quilt tops in my life. (by hand) It is really important to her that I try this. Is there an easy way to do this because I am not very good with a sewing machine. Is there a pattern or should I just give up? I have had her t-shirts for 2 years and I start sweating everytime I look at them. Scares me to death! Please help!