Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: re:sewing with velvet

Hi ladies..I have lucked on to a bunch of velvet samples from a furniture store and was wondering whether these could be used for quilts..they are not stiff but about a medium weight..also if I was going to sew them together would you use a 1/2 inch or bigger or smaller to put them together...

They would be perfect for a crazy quilt.

Consider how to wash the finished piece before you invest a lot of energy in it. A wall hanging that doesn't get a lot of abuse may be a better choice.

I see a crazy quilt in your future :lol:

Blog Entries
    I would wash the velvet first. I was everything that comes in my house. If there is going to be a problem I want to know before I spend any time sewing. I made a crazy quilt velvet throw with some friends. It was fun we shared blocks and it has great memories attached to it.

Definately see if it is washable! I used velvet for sashings in one quilt. Was a little bit if work as it tended to creep away from where I wanted it, even when it was pinned very well. Be sure to have the 'nap' going the same way when you put the blocks together. And with velvet, once you stitch it, don't rip it out, the 'holes' don't disappear like cotton.

If it is washable it would be wonderful to use in a quilt.

I use velvets alot in my quilts...can't seem to "conform" to the cottons and calicos and such...if it is washable or not, since most of my quilts have silks and velvets in them and would prefer dry cleaning anyway.

I would attach pics but can't seem to get them in here but, of the only two quilts I have completed, both used velvets, silks and taffeta...the stretchy stuff is tricky but, good pinning or a fusible interfacing stabilize everything very nicely and the really thin interfacing doesn't effect the "hand" of the fabric at all.

Blog Entries
    Do T shirts fall in the stretchy catagory? I've done a few of them. I always stabilize with a cheap pellon.

Senior Member Darlene loves Chocolates's Avatar
    ARE YOU THE QUEEN OF CRAZY QUILTS OR JUST FANCY QUILTS?????
    PLEASE SHOW US YOUR WORK, PLEASE.

Quote Originally Posted by treeboss
    I use velvets alot in my quilts...can't seem to "conform" to the cottons and calicos and such...if it is washable or not, since most of my quilts have silks and velvets in them and would prefer dry cleaning anyway.

I would attach pics but can't seem to get them in here but, of the only two quilts I have completed, both used velvets, silks and taffeta...the stretchy stuff is tricky but, good pinning or a fusible interfacing stabilize everything very nicely and the really thin interfacing doesn't effect the "hand" of the fabric at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast