Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • A real word challenge... >
  • A real word challenge...

• A real word challenge...

Old 01-02-2016, 04:50 PM

My eyes see the spelling errors and I move on. I would not want anyone to feel uncomfortable about posting because the grammar police are watching. We say there are no quilt police here. For my part, there aren't any grammar police either.
    Old 01-02-2016, 05:06 PM
    Power Poster

Well Madame Kelly, I am not going to hurt my little brain by trying to come up with a new word for scrappy... because I don't have a problem with the old word. I think we worry too much about what other people think. You will never find enough words to please everyone or make them think what you do is valuable. Tough tootsies for them!

There are tons of things that other people value that I don't give two hoots about... Michael Kors purses... pedicures... trips to Disney World or cruises. To each his own. You have to value yourself, and what you love because it's part of who you are.
    Old 01-02-2016, 05:07 PM
    Power Poster

I have reread some of my posts and sometimes I notice I messed up a word or grammar. Doesn't bother me as this is a internet message board, not official document board.
    Old 01-02-2016, 05:33 PM

My girlfriend would be horrified if she knew I ordered "scrap bags" once in a while to get some variety in my string quilts or for a scrappy 9 patch. These are for charity. I just don't have that many scraps. I like to recycle cotton from clothing from thrift stores. We were poorer than church mice when I grew up and like to save as much as I can. Then I can share more with others in need.

I used to teach also, but I believe I am no longer the grammar or spelling policeman. I do notice the mistakes, but I could never tell someone about them. I like this forum because there are no quilting police on here.
    Old 01-02-2016, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by DeneK
    My eyes see the spelling errors and I move on. I would not want anyone to feel uncomfortable about posting because the grammar police are watching. We say there are no quilt police here. For my part, there aren't any grammar police either.
    This is a friendly forum for everyone to express their thoughts and ideas and I agree that we would not want anyone to be intimidated or uncomfortable participating.
    Old 01-02-2016, 06:26 PM
    RST

I assume that when a post has some odd spelling or word use, it's an-auto-correct glitch imposed by spell-check. No big deal. As a sentient being I can compensate and figure out meaning, which is the whole purpose of communication.

As for word choice, I am fine with "scrappy" and I don't think changing to another term is going to change public perceptions. But sometimes I like to describe my quilts as improvisational or serendipitous -- which really just means that I didn't plan ahead and I figure out how to make the scraps look kind of cool.

My observation is that quilters (and everyone) can gain huge power and happiness from being secure enough to make what they like, without need for external validation. No need for apologies or pointing out mistakes or quibbling over describing words. Make what you like, own it, and be happy whether or not anyone else comments or likes it.
    Old 01-02-2016, 06:31 PM

I consider them as a "bonus" quilt, or maybe a "free" quilt. They cost just as much as a controlled quilt.
    Old 01-02-2016, 08:11 PM

I believe the original post was an expression of concern for fellow Quilters' work not being valued as it should by misconceptions on the part of mainly non-quilters who do not correctly understand terms such as "scrappy", and posing the question would it help them if we could think of a replacement term that would more accurately represent what a "scrappy quilt"really is-it wasn't a put down or anything negative, just a conversation starter. I like "mosaic quilt"- definitely art world sounding! On the grammar errors-I often use voice text when texting someone, faster BUT- I know I need to check it carefully before hitting the send button! The difference between what I say and what Siri writes can be hilarious-and sometimes mortifying if sent unedited, even worse than auto correct which, at times, drives me crazy!
    Old 01-02-2016, 08:24 PM

My first scrappy quilt was VERY EXPENSIVE!!! I didn't have a stash and ended up buying just a little of this, then a little of that, then I need some texture, then this needs to be broken up with some solids, then different tones would help, etc etc. I thought just a FQ bundle and I would be happy but "no" I kept wanting it to look truly scrappy. Needless to say, it was indeed expensive, but I love it! It was also a challenge for me to achieve the right color balance. I learned so much by doing that project. Scrappy quilts are some of my favorites for viewing at a Quilt Show. The possibilities are endless. But don't fool yourself, they are not just thrown together.
    Old 01-02-2016, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Cybrarian
    I believe the original post was an expression of concern for fellow Quilters' work not being valued as it should by misconceptions on the part of mainly non-quilters who do not correctly understand terms such as "scrappy", and posing the question would it help them if we could think of a replacement term that would more accurately represent what a "scrappy quilt"really is-it wasn't a put down or anything negative, just a conversation starter. I like "mosaic quilt"- definitely art world sounding! On the grammar errors-I often use voice text when texting someone, faster BUT- I know I need to check it carefully before hitting the send button! The difference between what I say and what Siri writes can be hilarious-and sometimes mortifying if sent unedited, even worse than auto correct which, at times, drives me crazy!

Oh, I had one ALMOST mortifying auto-correct mistake. I had a bag of school uniforms to pass down from my son to his younger friend. I had arranged to give them to the boy's dad as we were waiting in the carpool line. I texted him when I got to the line. I INTENDED to write, "Hi, Bob. I have clothes for you." But just before I hit "send" I proofread. Good thing I did. The word "clothes" had been changed to "urges."