Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A real word challenge... >

A real word challenge...

A real word challenge...

Old 01-04-2016, 05:37 AM

Honestly, I'd rather someone let me know. Peckish

I'm certainly with this. I don't always get it right the first time, and use my dictionary a lot. And even though I proofread what I wrote, some things just sneak in there. LOL
Old 01-04-2016, 07:12 AM
RST

Those of you who want to take a red pencil to internet postings -- to what end? Why is it so important?

Look, I have a graduate degree in literary criticism. I worked as an editor and proofreader for many years. I love the English language. I notice errors. Sometimes I make assessments about the author based on the way that they communicate. But I never feel the need to correct or educate. You have to pay me to do that kind of work.

So why the pro-bono educational urges?
Old 01-04-2016, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by RST View Post
Those of you who want to take a red pencil to internet postings -- to what end? Why is it so important?
Answered upthread.

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
As to the misspellings, etc. Sometimes it is easy to see they are spell checker changes. Sometimes they are funny. But constantly writing "boarder" (someone who pays to live in another person's building/home, etc) instead of "border" just looks uneducated. I can't help but wonder about that person's lack of observation skills.

My biggest problem when I see a lot of mistakes --it can quickly add to the perception that we are uneducated/unskilled, and that people who sew "only sew because they can't do real work" type of attitude.

That attitude exists among many people. We can help combat it by using the best grammar we know.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
Hope you meant what you said about you'd rather let someone know when you're wrong............

In British English 'advise' is indeed a verb and 'advice' a noun - not sure if that's your nephew misinforming you (again).

With regard to your nephew's novel critique, the first English Language dictionary was published in 1755 (in England). It wasn't until nearly 100 years later the American Dictionary of the English Language was published...........

We also spell 'traveled' as 'travelled'. Next time your nephew is over this way ask him to call in and I can advise him him further and give him some advice
LO!! "Canceled" and "cancelled" has always confounded me also. I looked it up once only to find that both versions are acceptable.

The nephew was making more of a joke than a critique. He was pointing out that we Americans like to use the letter Z a lot. And I guess what you're saying via the "advise/advice" differences is that some people ARE spelling them incorrectly?

I stand corrected.

Last edited by Peckish; 01-04-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:18 PM

Some describe themselves as mathematically challenged; some know they're orthographically challenged and some don't. We each have some sort of wobbly place. Probably kindest and most helpful is to do as so many here do--just get on with interpreting as best you can and answering the question.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:19 PM

With some knowledge about color theory we can coordinate our scraps to look like brand new quilts. I think "scrappy" is often a term used because of the mixture of colors in the quilt. By putting colors together, even with our leftover fabric pieces, we can have amazing quilts that would never be thought of as scrappy.