Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Really cheap...cutting assistance..

Really cheap...cutting assistance..

Okay, several people have posted that they have had gone to the local Lowe's and had plastic rulers (squares, rectangles, etc.) cut for them. Did it today. I wanted a plastic 5"square (exactly) couldn't find one anywhere here in town so went to the window area and they had a 8 x 10 in two grades of plastic. The one (which would have worked) was 1.98, the next higher grade was 3.98. I went with that one. They did not charge me for cutting it and it and I got a perfect 5x5 square. So I had him cut a 4 x 4 and then had a 3 x 5 and 4 x 5 with a 1 x 4 left over. All for $3.98 - better than a coupon. If you needed an 8 x 10 - no cutting necessary and you can go to the next up at a 10 x 12 to get a 10 inch square with a 2 x 10 left over for 5.98. Just trying to keep us all saving a tad bit of money here and there. They can also cut 5 1/2" squares or 4 1/4 or 6 1/2 for not a lot of money.
    Busy in Ohio

Blog Entries
    Wow, that's wonderful! Now, to figure out where there is a Lowe's....
    Reading, cooking, sewing in retirement! Heaven!
    I'm proud to say that I'm a member of the Quilt A Month Club for the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative! www.alzquilts.org
    I have a blog on QB now -- please drop in!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Now, measure them at home with a tape measure and make sure they are accurate! Reason..saw blades can move, and depending on where he cut, it could be off by a 1/8th or more!

Blog Entries
    Not all Lowes will cut plastic, ask me how I know?
    Bernie

Thanks, I'll have to do that.
    Heather

Blog Entries
    I never even thought about Lowes! I go to the window glass shop in my town and it is always cheaper than buying a ruler. You don't get the measuring lines but most of the time, the cut I am getting is for a specific project and don't need them. I check the measurements at the store before I leave and have never had an issue with it being off.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Thanks about checking the measurements when I got home and yes, I did measure them before I posted the message. Measure twice, cut once ;-) I did make it very clear that they had to measure exactly as I stated to the gentleman and he took his time and did it correctly.
    Busy in Ohio

What a great idea!! I will be going to Lowe's next week. Does anyone know if Home Depot will also do this?

Blog Entries
    cool

So clever. I would never of thought of doing this. So very glad you shared this wonderful cost savings tip.
    Evelyn

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast