Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Reasonable price for a used Janome 6500 >

Reasonable price for a used Janome 6500

Reasonable price for a used Janome 6500

Old 07-29-2011, 02:28 PM

Hi everyone. I am in such a dither over sewing machines. I really, really love quilting and am researching machines with the 9" throat space. There is a Janome 6500 on CL for $750. It's reduced from $850. The owner says it comes with the extension table, knee lift, memory recall? & "lots" of feet. I've emailed asking her exactly what the feet are, if there is a darning and walking foot and I really don't know what else to ask. What else should I be asking? Am I right in thinking that all the Janome 6500's come with the knee lift and needle down option? Should I ask how old the machine is? The price seems a touch high to me as I thought I'd seen people posting on here about getting used ones for $500 - $600. I'd sure appreciate y'all's opinions.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:28 PM

I don't know about the price for used but mine came with the 1/4" foot, walking foot, FM foot, the ext. table, knee lifter,quilting bar, open toe satin,-total 13 feet + usual accessories.. Up/down needle postion, auto thread cutter, auto-lock& reverse are built in buttons,has memory recall. I've seen people here ask how many hrs. it's been used. Might ask if it's been professionally cleaned(?) I like mine alot. Had since last Xmas.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:34 AM

Thanks for your reply. I didn't ask her if it had been professionally cleaned or about the number of hours. I did find out that she is the second owner. I do wish I could get some pricing info. Anybody?
Old 07-30-2011, 04:02 AM

I just got mine, with all the things previous poster listed-brand new for 1,199.00 Rita
Old 07-30-2011, 04:30 AM
Power Poster

I have a Janome 6500 and it is a great machine. For the $750 and since she is a second owner i would really think hard about saving up for a new one and looking for a deal. And yes mine came with all the things that wer elisted. I have lots of fun on it nearly daily and have had my machine for 7 1/2 years. I use it to piece and quilt.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:24 AM

I think it's a bit steep. I bought an "experienced" 6600P from a Janome dealer where it had been given a thorough cleaning/tune up for $700 - and it came with a 90 day warranty - and classes if I wanted them. Tons of attachments as well (extension table, single hole plate, 3 walking feet, P2 FMQ foot, knee lift, all regular feet, and a few more - can't remember).

I had heard recently somewhere that Janome is introducing new machine again, not sure if it's the same class of machine (ie wide harp for quilting vs a embroidery machine). I got my 6600 soon after the 7700 came out and a lot of folks traded up. Perhaps you can check with some dealers to see if they have any used 6500 (or 6600).
Old 07-30-2011, 08:55 AM

Thanks y'all. That was kinda how I felt. It's nice to get confirmation. I'll keep waiting & looking. I'd heard about the possible new machine coming out, too. Wouldn't it be fun to get a 7700 at a good price used?! Even more harp space!
Old 07-30-2011, 09:02 AM

I think you're smart to wait. I paid $600 for a used one with all the accessories. I loved the machine and eventually traded it in when I got the Horizon. They gave me $500 for it, so that was a pretty good deal. In between I had the 6600, which is a wonderful machine. If you could find a used one that would be the way to go.

The new machine is a combination sewing/embroidery machine with a large harp and is not a replacement for the Horizon. It is rumored to have a pretty high price tag.

The Janomes are such good machines - you can't go wrong whichever option you choose.

One place you could call is Brubaker's Sewing Center in PA. The have wonderful pricing and service and often have used machines available. They'll be happy to ship to you.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by LyndaOH
I think you're smart to wait. I paid $600 for a used one with all the accessories. I loved the machine and eventually traded it in when I got the Horizon. They gave me $500 for it, so that was a pretty good deal. In between I had the 6600, which is a wonderful machine. If you could find a used one that would be the way to go.

The new machine is a combination sewing/embroidery machine with a large harp and is not a replacement for the Horizon. It is rumored to have a pretty high price tag.

The Janomes are such good machines - you can't go wrong whichever option you choose.

One place you could call is Brubaker's Sewing Center in PA. The have wonderful pricing and service and often have used machines available. They'll be happy to ship to you.
Wow, that was a great deal! Thanks for the Brubaker's tip.