Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Recieving Blankets

I did the same as Pandamommy and got rave reviews from the recipients. Take two pieces of flannel WOF and RST sew around and then flip. You can topstitch if you choose but not necessary. I also put lace inside the seam and ric rac on some. Fun to make...
    Sandy

Is it normal for most flannels to measure 40"(or less) after washing and removing the selvedge? I bought some flannel at Jo-Ann's to see what happened when it was washed. The solid looked better than the print after washing. I forgot to measure the solid, but the print was 40". I don't want to buy a more expensive quilting flannel and have it shrink so much.
    Elizabeth

Blog Entries
    I make mine 36 x 36 and are double sided and use the fancy stitches on my machine to do the edges. With the left over material I make washclothes and burp towels. Good luck!
    A bed without a quilt is like the night sky without stars.

http://californiaquilting.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
    I make my receiving blankets square (they are easier to wrap up the baby). I wash the fabric and make it square with the WOF -- so I would say only one from 1.5 yard.
    Same here.

My girls told me when I made them flannel receiving blankets for their babies, that they were a life saver. The ones they got as gifts were cutier, but mine were more practical. If a bed got soiled during the night, they used mine as a replace ment, till morning. And the babies didn`t out grow them in a month, When buying flannel, I would make the blanket the
    width of the material, so the blanket would be square. 44" or 54". By the way you would not believe how many of their
    friends asked me to make them some, and some were handed down to the next person with a baby. Now I make them for donations to those that need them.

Cute fabric!

How does everyone make their burp cloths? I just use 2 pieces of flannel cut in an hour glass shape. I don't put anything between the layers. I have also heard of using cloth diapers on one side.

Blog Entries
    One square yard or smaller seems to be the consensus, but I really preferred the larger ones. The one I loved the most when my son was little was 42"x42". The giver had then crocheted a single row around the edge. Having a tall kid, it was sure nice to have it large enough to work for him.
    I used to be "hot", now it's just "hot flashes!"

Does anyone have any pictures they could post of their receiving blankets....Thank You....I have 3 grandchildren on the way.....

Blog Entries
    I like the Pebbles fabric too.
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast