Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Recommend a basic embroidery machine for quilt labels and small stuff >

Recommend a basic embroidery machine for quilt labels and small stuff

Recommend a basic embroidery machine for quilt labels and small stuff

Old 09-30-2014, 10:52 AM

Question Recommend a basic embroidery machine for quilt labels and small stuff

I am hoping for $300 max on used or new and I only need embroidery. I already have the Janome 3160QDC for my quilting/piecing etc. and it has cute little stitch patterns but doesn't embroider. I am computer savvy and could probably deal with importing patterns I designed on computer to it.

Think the Ford F150 - basic, roll-up windows, no a/c, but pulls its weight.

I have read a lot of Brother reviews here, including Walmart Brothers, pro and con. I would prefer used machine which works to throwing out a machine which was an un-fixable lemon.

Appreciate your recommendations
Old 09-30-2014, 01:46 PM

Go to your nearest dealer to compare machines and ask about used machines.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:11 PM

Today you think you just want to do 'labels and small stuff'. This means a 4x4 hoop machine is all you think you need. I think we can all guarantee that you will get to a point where you feel that you just can't live without a larger hoop. So if you can afford a 5x7 hoop machine, even a used one, that might be the way to go. Otherwise, I love Brother machines and they are so user friendly, that I'm sure you can find one for the amt you want to spend..with a 4x4 hoop. A word of caution tho, if you buy used, be aware it might be a machine that you will need software to transfer designs from your computer. The cards of designs can get awfully expensive. Best bet is a machine that uses a flash drive for transfer. I LOVE my machines--I have 2 Brothers with 4 sizes of hoops, and the little Snoopy machine that uses 4x4 & the repositionable hoop to do 5x7..the 4x4 is a little workhorse. Good luck--hope you find what you're looking for, and show us some of your embroideries when you get it set up.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:28 PM

I have had Brother commercial embroidery machines, they were wonderful. For personal home use, I'm a Viking fan. I had a Designer 1 previously and just 3 weeks ago or so I bought a Designer SE for $700. That machine was probably pushing $7000 new. I also had a Singer XL 5000 that I bought off Craigslist too. I think I paid $500 for that and she gave me $1000's worth of extras to go with it. She was moving to Hawaii and giving up her sewing business and I lucked out. It was a nice machine and embroidered perfectly. I just wanted a Viking again. (I'm a foot addict and have a suitcase full of feet that I missed using.) I always watch Craigslist - probably every day I look at it. And it is true, you have to be careful buying used, these machines require software. The Singer, I got the software with it. The Viking, I had the software but if not, it is pricey. If you just keep looking, you will find something used. Good Luck.