Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Recommend  brand name for fusible for silk >

Recommend brand name for fusible for silk

Recommend brand name for fusible for silk

Old 10-27-2011, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

Hi. I made several quilts this year from recycled cotton shirts from the Salvation Army. During my purchasing frenzy :-). I managed to pick up about a dozen washable silk shirts for a buck each! They are mostly lovely tropical and pastel prints, on a woven jacquard ground.

Anyway, I want to make a silk quilt for ME. I know I need to use a fusible tricot, and would like brand name recommendations. I don't want to ruin the hand, and I need something that will iron on with a cooler iron.

All the other posts on using silk say to use a light weight knit, but don't mention a brand.
TIA,
Nancy
Old 10-27-2011, 07:17 AM

I'd go to the store and stand there for however long it takes and read the instructions on every single bolt of fusible until I found one that said to fuse it on the silk setting. That's actually fairly low temp.

Are you sure you really have to use a fusible?
Old 10-27-2011, 07:16 PM
Power Poster

I would wash the silks first. (Shampoo is supposed to be good for washing silk. Google to find suggestions.)

Then I would experiment with both fusible nylon tricot and Misty Fuse. I found it cheaper to purchase fusible nylon tricot online from a drapery company; however, for test purposes you could use one of the packets that JoAnn's sells. I have found Misty Fuse available only online.

I personally think the Misty Fuse would be nicer, if it works, because it would keep the hand of the silk more true. Fusible nylon tricot is good, but it does add a lot of weight and some degree of stiffness.

For Misty Fuse, I would iron between sheets of Reynolds parchment paper.