Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Recommendation for a Good Sewing/Quilting Chair >

Recommendation for a Good Sewing/Quilting Chair

Recommendation for a Good Sewing/Quilting Chair

Old 12-30-2013, 05:21 PM

Default Recommendation for a Good Sewing/Quilting Chair

Hi everyone,

I am in the market for a good sewing chair. I'd like to get one that has a height adjustment and really good back support. Does anyone have any recommendations of what to/not to buy? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Regards,
Sarah
Old 12-30-2013, 06:01 PM

I went to Staples and bought a good office chair. The height adjusts and it has great back support. I makes a big difference when I spend all day sewing. My back feels so much better since I got it.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:44 PM

I also got a great office chair at Office Depot.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:13 PM

I would suggest just going to a few stores and trying different styles out. I got mine at Office Max a couple of years ago. Height adjusts, tilt adjusts, armrests adjust, it has great lumbar support and a five-wheel base. The wheels are covered so it's harder for thread snips to get caught and wound up in them. The chair itself is covered in some polyester micro-fiber fabric that mostly wipes clean but is cool to sit in during hot, humid Alabama summers. I think I paid about $150 for it, on sale. The dinosaur I had been using for over 20 years just wasn't cutting it any more, not to mention it weighed a gazillion pounds and was seriously ugly. My new chair was one of the best investments I've made for my sewing room. Take your time and consider it an investment in your back. You won't regret purchasing a good chair.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:16 AM

Try different chairs. I found that chairs with armrests didn't fit under my sewing cabinet so the chair sticks out instead of storing under the cabinet when I'm not quilting. Makes a difference if space is a problem. Sometimes I trip on the rolling wheels!
Old 12-31-2013, 10:43 AM

I agree, try them out. I can't sew with armrests, so when I had a chair I took them off. I used the equivalent of a Gypsy Sit Upon [actually was a physical therapy cushion] which was really inexpensive back in the old days. I take it to sew-ins when I go now.

I finally bought myself a Swopper years ago and have loved using it. It is like sitting on a non-rolling balance ball, but I don't have to worry about pins deflating it.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:19 PM

Thanks everyone for the help and ideas! I really appreciate it!
Old 01-07-2014, 01:11 PM

Also try the Bungee (yes) chair at Container Store. I laughed when I first saw them although they have gone up a lot in price. But I tried it and bought one which I have had for several years. Not only do I use it to sew but also on the computer all day - I work from home and I still love it.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:59 PM

I agree, I have two in my sewing/embroidery room, one for me and one for my avatar, that shows on here. She is best buddy, she just can't wait for me to go in there.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:54 PM

I have a secretary chair I got from office max no arms but has great back support and is adjustable, I got a mat to go under it so I can roll it around my carpeted sewing room.