Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Recommendation for light weight traveling machine >

Recommendation for light weight traveling machine

Recommendation for light weight traveling machine

Old 07-29-2016, 07:08 AM

I just went thru this myself.
Wanting a smaller, lightweight machine for classes & retreats.

I looked @ new but couldn't stomach paying a new price.
I, too, wanted to be in a less than $300 price bracket.

Bought my Viking D1 new 7 yrs. ago & it works for me beautifully,
so I set out to find a 2nd machine in used, but excellent condition.
Found one! They are out there.
You can check craigslist, eBay, quilting & sewing forums, etc.

I was very very leery about buying off eBay but the seller was 2 hours from my home,
she had good reviews, & she said the machine was in pristine, like new condition ... only used 5 times.
So I took the plunge.
I couldn't be happier! It looks & sews like it hadn't been used more than 5 times.
This is less than a classroom model.

I have the Viking Prelude 360.
I paid $195 for it. It originally sold for $450-500 depending on the area.
I've been sewing on this machine to make sure that I like it (& I do) ... so am going to spend a
little more now & order a sewing table top for it. I should still come in @ less than $300.

My 2nd go-to choice was one of the Baby Locks, but the one I wanted was $599 + tax.
Nice thing about used ... generally no tax.
Good luck on your hunt.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:27 AM

Well, it seem my information is not correct....thank you ladies for setting me straight. I was told this from a dealer, but of course they are wanting to sell their machines.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:11 AM
mac

I feel a lot of the lighter machines that are out nowadays have a lot of plastic gears in them, which wear out easily. Of course, this makes them lighter to carry around, but what about durability?

Mainly in quilting, you are only doing a straight stitch, so for my money I would go for a Featherweight by Singer. They are old reliable sewing machines. Their stitching is perfect and they will do heavier sewing if you use a jean needle.

You can still find a bargain out there, if you look. I bought two FW's from a lady that didn't want them anymore for $75.00 each. They needed servicing and new belts, but other than that they were in great condition (if you are not looking for the gold pattern on the machine to be perfect). I keep one in my car and one at home.

For the most part, you can service the FW's yourself and take them in only if you have a major problem with them.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:04 PM

I have a babylock Audrey. It comes with it's own small traveling bag. I take it everywhere.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I agree with everything Dolphyngyrl said about the low end Brother machines. I have 3 - one at my house and one at each of son's. They are trouble free, take any thread, have never needed a dealer or repair, work right out of the box and don't have tension issues. The manuals are very good too. This is based on my own personal experience.
I agree. My low end brother has been under a greyhound bus cross country and still works as good as new. Mine is the model 5130, only has 35 stitches, but I have never felt the need for more. I paid $150 for it at Walmart. (14 years ago and the price is still in the same range.)
Old 07-29-2016, 01:33 PM

My last machine was and 80 stitch brother SQ9000 on Amazon and I paid $139. Good little machine.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:21 PM

Keep your eye out for a vintage Singer 301, the FW's big sister. It is a aluminum machine so not that heavy and is a full size machine rather than a 3/4 like the Featherwight. It is all metal, with no plastic parts to go bad and sews a beautiful straight stitch! I love both of mine and both had price tags under $200.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:02 PM

I had a Brother 6000i that needed repair, the local Brother dealer serviced it without any problems, it was still under warranty, Brother authorized dealers are to service all Brother machines, especially if under warranty. (I checked with Brother when my machine needed repair, something went wrong with the foot pedal) If an authorized dealer refuses report them to Brother CO.
That said the Brother 6000i is a great machine, one of my granddaughters has it now, still working well after 8 plus years.
I also vote for the Janome Jems, I have a Jem Platinum ($400-$500 range), computerized, many stitches. My local granddaughter have Janome Jem Silvers, mechanical & super machines, the Silver no longer made (it was a special edition several years ago) but the Janome Jem Gold is the very same machine, so is the Necchi Travel Mate (made by Janome) , they run $199, the Gold can be bought online, the Necchi only from a Necchi dealer who might try to sell it at $299 but those machines are exactly the same, different color on face. I love those machines, very sturdy & strong for a lightweight machine. One granddaughters tends to have a lead foot & pedal to the metal but her machine just hums along. The stitches are preset but there is enough variety (3 different lengths of straight stitch, a couple of zigzag & decorative & button hole) that you don't miss it.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
In regard to the disdain of machine repair service, Any doctor can "service" you but if you never visit one perioducically, he may not be able to "fix" you. I believe in taking my machines in for periodic servicing as a preventative measure. None of my machines cost less than $500 new so, for me, it is worth preventing large issues in the future. I do the same with my vehicle. If I had paid less than $200 for one, then I would replace it when it no longer performs.

Sandy
No disdain here, I just think it's absurd to pay someone $100+ to do something I can do myself for nothing. I have some expensive machines too, the cost of the machine doesn't deter me from taking care of it myself.

Back to the topic, an inexpensive machine from Brother is a good choice, as well as a FW or a 301 for straight stitch only, though personally I prefer the 301.

Cari
Old 07-29-2016, 08:37 PM

The Kenmore 158.1040 is also an excellent choice for a travel machine. Mechanical, zig=zag and stretch stitches and all metal. Can be found under a $100 a bit more on eBay. There are also aluminum Singer 99 clones and of course the Featherweight and 301. I have at least one of all of them and 2-3 of most. Love each and every one of them.