Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Recommendations for cutting mat >

Recommendations for cutting mat

Recommendations for cutting mat

Old 01-28-2016, 11:40 AM
Vat

In my opinion , Martelli is the very best on the market. I have been using them for years. They don't ruin in the sun. I don't but they say you can even press on their mats. When I was in their shop I had them to make me a special ruler, that I use to cut my bindings. I cut my bindings 1 7/8 inches and my new ruler is actually measured to that size. I can cut 7 strips without moving my rulers. Wonderful ! ! ! They are not cheap but seam to last forever. I will never go back to anything else. If they are at a quilt show most of their things are 1/2 price, but they also offer online specials. You should sign up for their emails, then you can get their ads.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:55 AM

Thank you Vat for the suggestion to sign up for the Martello emails. Just went to their site to sign-up.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:14 PM

olfa for20-some years only one for me
Old 01-28-2016, 04:42 PM

Your cutting mat will last longer if you soak it in your bathtub in vinegar water. I have the "recipe" but am unable to find it right now. Go to the Internet and search for "cutting mat" and you will find it. Also, be sure you use new or fairly new blades. I learned the hard way not to use worn out blades; you cut too deep into the board, scoring it (the vinegar water bath also helps this). I buy new blades in bulk. The last bulk was from Quilting Bee and I will reorder when necessary. If you really need/want a new cutting board, try Quilting Bee. Comes in various sizes. My last board is 2-sided; green, which I'm familiar with, on one side; blue on the other. Each side has white lines/numbers - easy to read. God bless you in your adventures of quilting.

Last edited by the King's kid; 01-28-2016 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:27 PM

3 years doesn't seem very long unless the cutting mat is getting very heavy use.

I have two that can think of - a big one that I honestly hardly ever use and a 12 x 18 that I can cart around to bees and classes. I use it the most at home also. It's the kind with an ironing board on the other side.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:50 PM

Something I've never understood: what does it mean when the description says a mat is "pinnable"?

Daffy
Old 02-09-2016, 11:39 PM

Olfa for me, easy to find and works great, I have used them for years, only replaced one.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:59 AM

The other part of the cutting experience is the rotary cutter blade. I'm guilty of making those last way beyond their valuable use. I write down the date when I change a blade (I write it on the package the new one came in) and then post it on my bulletin board. Unfortunately, there are times I've looked at the date and realized it's 3 months ago!

So, how often do you replace your blades? Should I kind of eyeball the "lengths" I'm cutting and replace after so many yards? I do a mixture of both block of the month quilts (so cutting fabric for the month's block) and then sew complete quilts in the middle of the month. I sew every day that I am home.....so the rotary cutter is used every day.

What do you usually do? I'm interested in a better way than just "winging it". Thanks for your thoughts and have a great day sewing!

Nora
Old 02-10-2016, 11:17 AM

NoraB, it would be nice if there was a blade mileage wouldn't there? Unfortunately for me too it's a feel thing. If I have to press harder and it starts leaving threads uncut, I change. Sometimes I change on a whim if I am starting a new quilt. It's smart to time it by posting when you added a new blade.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

I prefer the green mats by Olfa.