Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: Recuperation

Blog Entries
    Thank you all so much. I prepared loads last time only to find because it was a hand op, removal of a bone I was incapacitated for a long time. Hand sewing was a no no. I am quickly preparing as goin on the 22nd October. I will have had the op I hope b the time you are all waking up. Will send a message on the 23rd as I am staying with a friend for the first 24 hours as ordered. Thank you for all your good wishes and help.

Before my knee surgery, I hit the thrift stores and stocked up on items to deconstruct and thus add to my stash. I spent my time taking the items apart and appreciating all the money I was saving by getting fabric in this way.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Quote Originally Posted by jeank View Post
    Sounds like a good time to learn to English Paper Piece. Get everything ready ahead.
    That was going to be my suggestion. I printed out lots and lots of hexagons and sat and cut them out before I went to the hospital. I also cut small squares of fabric . I have it in one of those plastic zippered bags that sheets come in . It has gone to the hospital twice with me and I did some while I was waiting to be able to be up and around. As soon as I could cut back on the pain meds. lol I was loopy for some time. Maybe one day the grandmothers flower garden will get put together.

I put my embroidery machine on a portable computer table with wheels on it. I could pull it right over to the recliner and embroider or applique away. My machine has a start button the you poke with your hand. I made sure to have my thread, lots of cut squares, stabilizer and what have you in a big basket by my chair! That saw me through 2 knee replacements! I also had word search books, crossword puzzle books, a few novels, DVDs and my laptop to watch them on, and best of all, my DGKs brought me some old fashioned coloring books and crayons. Can you believe that I actually enjoyed coloring Barbies and cartoon characters. I hope your surgery goes well and you heal quickly. Will be saying prayers for you on the 22nd for safe surgery and fast recovery!

My suggestion would be a redwork, or blue work quilt. Find some patterns to embroider and when you're up to it sew it into a quilt. This is what I'll be doing as I am probably going to have surgery in the not to distant future as well.

Of course I meant hand embroidery. I love the simplicity of simple embroidery. But that just my own humble opinion.

So sorry about your surgery please keep us updated. Sounds like lots of good advice. Best wishes and prayers

I had my hip replaced almost a year ago - I did a lot of embroidery and beading while I was immobilized. Since it's right before the holidays, maybe some handmade fabric holiday cards? You could do them all sorts of ways; embroidered, pieced, appliqued, beaded...lots of variety possible there. Prep them ahead of time.....just sandwich some stiff fusible in between fabric and cut and crease to make them card size and you have a good base to start with.

Oh and let me recommend graph paper, colored pencils and regular pencils, a big eraser and a pencil sharpener. It's lots of fun to play with ideas for quilts and patterns.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5