Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Recycling batting

Hi,

Recently I bought a new manufactured quilt, (I'm new to quilting & haven't started making my first one yet). It's way too heavy & I'd hate to throw it away. I'd like to learn hand quilting & wondered if I could salvage the batting to use as I am on a very tight budget? This would be to make lap quilts to use in winter for myself & husband. If it's not suitable for this how about art quilts for me to hang on the wall? I hate waste & a quilt is a huge thing to go to land fill.

Thanks in advance .

winding_branch :D

Blog Entries
    yes, it can be recycled..why not. i sew my batting scraps together to make baby quilts, i can't throw them away either. you could also cut the quilt down and make pieced covers for them..

Welcome from northeast CA. Glad you joined us. Certainly, you can take it apart and reuse the batting to make lap quilts and you should be able to reuse the fabric also. We love pictures.

Blog Entries
    What a great idea!!! :D :D :D

if the manufactured quilt is too heavy, wouldn't the batting also be too heavy? is it too warm or does it weigh too much?

Hi all,

thanks for your replies. It's more of a duvet than a quilt & the batting was breaking up when I undid it so I'll use that for toy stuffing. I saved a part & made a little cushion for under my pillow as it was going flat at night. I still have plenty to make a little bed cover for my cats too. The material cover was very papery so not much use.

Sounds like you'll have plenty of practice with the seam ripper.

donate to goodwill etc. or give to some homeless person who would br glad to find something heavy