Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Red flannel bled into the light blue, help!! >

Red flannel bled into the light blue, help!!

Red flannel bled into the light blue, help!!

Old 07-28-2011, 05:46 AM

Hi,
I just love red anything. I work with recycled wool garments. In my Wool Dye book, the author explains that you can use Tide powder no bleach to wash out extra color in the wool. I like to use primitive colors and black wool has LOTS of extra pigment in it. So I wash it twice in Tide and then I dry it in a HOT dryer. Then, I simmer it on the stove in vinegar water to make sure it sets up. The water is generally clear after the two washings in Tide, so I'm sure that is all you have to do. Tide will pull color out if you accidentally do what you just did - which is why I never use it to do my laundry.
Hope this helps! -Tori-
Old 07-28-2011, 06:36 AM

I used oxiclean and it took out all the peach color of my favorite blouse!!! Also used on fabric color runs and took out ALL color!!! NEVER will I use that again fabric cost to much to ruin.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:49 AM

Many years ago there was a rule....Always set anything that is colored red before use. I thought it is o.k. now, but I guess not. There are many ways to do this. Soak item in ice water..Does not always work. Wash in cold water and mild soap. and also soak in salt water. Be sure to test it for bleeding before using it. So Sorry it happened. You would think there would be a product on the market for this by now.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:46 AM

I would wash it again using a color safe bleach and 2 color catchers.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:32 PM

Get some color grabbers from the grocery store and rewash it with several of them it should take it out...
Old 07-28-2011, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Barbshobbies
Many years ago there was a rule....Always set anything that is colored red before use. I thought it is o.k. now, but I guess not. There are many ways to do this. Soak item in ice water..Does not always work. Wash in cold water and mild soap. and also soak in salt water. Be sure to test it for bleeding before using it. So Sorry it happened. You would think there would be a product on the market for this by now.
I think I read or someone told me a long time ago, to set your fabric color wash in warm water with some white vinegar. I do this, but never really knew if it worked since I dont use such strong colors. (but, Ive not ever had bleeding issues either)sharet
Old 07-28-2011, 05:45 PM

I always wash flannel and most of my cotton if they are bright or in the red family. I just washed a red that I can not set. i used salt water, tried vingar--still bleeds. One quilt shop told me to try "retayne" or synthropol? She said most shops carry it. I am going to look for it--she was sold out.
Not sure of the spelling.
SandyGail
Old 07-28-2011, 08:59 PM

Try Synthrapol--available at LQS. I rescued a shirt for my husband that had bled onto itself--big blue streaks across the entire shirt--discovered when I went to iron it. It has been washed and dried in the drier. Used the synthrapol with great success. Follow the intructions to the letter.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by DeniseP
Yup. A day late and a dollar short, just like always.
Oh Denise, you "sound" so chagrined with yourself it makes me sad for you.

Don't give up hope yet!

One thing to try is to take some tape (duct or masking) and dab it at the red spots. You may discover it's not really bleeding dye but just gobs of lint stuck in place.

If it isn't lint woven in, then try washing the quilt again, using LOTS of detergent and a high water level. If the red dye molecules are just staining the blue rather than actually molecularly attached to the blue fibres, the detergent and high water level will help them float loose again and stay suspended in the water.

If you try lots of detergent and high water level, be prepared to give it an extra rinse or three to get all of the detergent out.

If it were me, being a hand dyer, my third option would be to overdye with a light red, which would give the light blue patches a purple-ish tinge. I'd do it the low water immersion way, to get a lot of deliberate mottling.

And then if overdyeing didn't give me a look I was happy with, then I'd stencil with fabric paints or Shiva Paintstiks. If the batting is cotton, then the heat of an iron won't hurt it to set the paint or Paintstiks. If the batting is polyester, then I'd use Shiva Paintstiks, let them dry for at least a couple weeks (to polymerise as much as possible) and then toss it in a warm dryer to set the Paintstiks.

There's hardly ever a mistake in textile arts that can't be fixed, changed into a feature or transformed. And those are usually the pieces that turn out the most stunning!

I guess I'm trying to say that this is an opportunity, not a mistake to beat yourself up with.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
i would baste color catchers or carbona over the offending area and wash again.
never heard of this, but sounds like a good idea...let us know how it all turns out...