Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Red Thread Financial >

Red Thread Financial

Red Thread Financial

Old 08-10-2015, 08:23 AM

Default Red Thread Financial

I am curious if anyone has used Red Thread to finance their long arm-how was your experience? Do you know what the minimum credit score needed for approval?
Old 08-10-2015, 09:59 AM
Power Poster

There was a previous thread on this - maybe that will help.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...p-t266602.html
Old 08-10-2015, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

I wouldn't finance any LA purchase. Save up and then pay cash. Dealers will give discount often if you come in with cash.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:41 PM

If you must, absolutely shop around and get the best terms you can...then go to purchase your machine with your financing already in place. This is good advice for buying a car too.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:22 PM

know nothing about Red Thread, but would encourage you to talk with others in your area if your intent is to purchase a long arm and repay it by quilting for others. It will take you a while to learn to use the machine, especially if you don't include a robotic quided component (which will add anywhere from $4000 to 15,000 depending on machine and computer components). And I know from my own experience, and that of other long armers in area, that except for 1 or 2 ladies that having been around longgg before the rest of us, that most LA say it takes about 3+ years to develop a steady clientele that will allow you steady income. And even they will state that there are times of the year that are "slow".
Old 08-13-2015, 04:44 AM
Power Poster

Credit scores determine your interest rate if you get a loan. Low score will have you paying three times what the item is worth.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:50 AM

I don't see anywhere on their site where they talk about the rates you'll be charged. To me, that's a red flag - it looks like a symptom of predatory lending. If they aren't bragging about their rates...why? Rates are so low right now, they should be trumpeting low rates to draw customers.

I've worked in a credit union for 20+ years so I'm definitely biased, but I would strongly recommend checking with local credit unions and community banks and seeing what sort of rates they could offer you on a signature loan or a credit card to finance the machine. A lot of people think they can't join credit unions but MOST people in the US do qualify for at least one these days - look for credit unions in your area with a community charter. They will accept membership from anyone living or working within their local communities. Many credit unions can also accept close family of existing members, so if you or your spouse have a parent, sibling or child who is in a credit union, you may be able to join that one even if you don't live anywhere near it. Call your local credit unions and ask! If the credit union you call can't accept you, they will often know which ones can and most CU's are happy to refer you to another one if they can't help you.

Or, check with local community banks. I'm biased towards credit unions, but community banks can be very good and have people-friendly rates and policies too.

If someone wants to charge you anywhere near 20%, unless you have terrible credit you should RUN from that rate! Federal lending rates are so low right now, there's no reason to pay that much if you have decent credit. If you have good credit, you ought to be able to find a credit card with a rate of 10% or even less.

And if you find one with a points program, you might be able to get some cash back on the purchase...can't beat that!

Comparison shopping for rates is a very good idea.