Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Reducing glass for quilting

Blog Entries

Reducing glass for quilting

I bought a reducing glass to use with my watercolor paintings. I didn't realize when I bought it how much I would enjoy using it with my quilting. It lets you visualize your blocks as you would see them from a distance. It is a wonderful tool to use with block placement. Check it out here.

MTS
    Banned
    It also allows you to catch many errors up on the design board before sewing (and after), especially on large quilts.

The eyes can't take in a queen size quilt with multi-patched blocks in one take......they're darting all over.
    When it's reduced to a much smaller image, it's easier to see if something is out of whack.

A camera or a peephole can also be used if you don't have or want to buy the specific tool.

I think it's one of the most useful notions in my sewing room - it prevents a LOT of potential grief.

Blog Entries
    I picked one up after using it in a class, seeing an entire quilt at a distance is so helpful!!!! I use mine all the time.
    Vivian
    Yukon Territory, Canada
    www.quiltingunderthemidnightsun.blogspot.ca

Blog Entries
    I agree, they are very helpful! I use a door peephole I picked up at the hardware store, think I paid all of a buck-fifty for it.

Blog Entries
    I have this glass and my DGD loved looking through it when she was always in my sewing room. She took it to Show and Tell. She took a lot of my sewing tools to Show and Tell! She used my tube turners for a middle school science project one year. She got a B. Her teacher had never seen such a tool! Great idea when it's the night before it's due. LOL. I like the peephole to view my quilt.
    Got fabric?

I have one and wouldn't do without. It was a freebie when I purchased mosaic software. It's very useful to me as my sewing room is quite small - I can view the quilt on the board instead of having to take it outside.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

looking through binoculars backwards does good in a pinch too!

I've heard of using both a peep hole and binoculars. Funny, I was just thinking about this very thing yesterday.