Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Redwork - Hand Embroidery >

Redwork - Hand Embroidery

Redwork - Hand Embroidery

Old 01-20-2017, 10:03 PM

Default Redwork - Hand Embroidery

I just received my first redwork patterns in the mail this morning! I'm looking forward to having a quiet stitching project to do. My plan is to work small parts of the design that I can use as a component in a quilt block, like in the center of a friendship star or a churn dash. The pattern I have has a wreath of flowers, watering can, garden flowers...

I'm pretty sure I've seen some redwork on the board here in quilts. I just have a couple questions as I'm new to this...

1. My pattern recommends Perle Cotton #8 with a backstitch? Do you use a 'backstitch' in your redwork? How big do you typically make your stitches? Would an 1/8 of an inch work?

2. If ya'll have some inspiration of redwork in quilts... I would love to see!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]566317[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 6tag_200117-170701.jpg  
Old 01-21-2017, 12:29 AM

Don't get hung up on the size of your stitches, just try and keep them all the same size and enjoy. X
Old 01-21-2017, 01:26 AM
Gay

Ever since I began embroidery when small I grew up using stem stitch to outline work so I can't really offer any advice. But 1/8th inch sounds good to me, your work will be beautiful. Don't forget to post a picture when done.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:13 AM

Cute patterns. I have been working on a Santa pattern from that same company for some time. Yes, I am doing the backstitch and don't really measure my length of stitch but I think just whatever you are comfortable with. I am using 2 strands of DMC thread instead of the pearl cotton. Good luck and I think you will do fine once you get a feel of it. Working on redwork is very soothing and relaxing and a great thing to work on during the evening when the TV is on for hubby. Love your idea of putting your work inside a churn dash. Please share when you finish your project.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

I love doing hand embroidery,very relaxing. It doesn't take long to get the stitching all the same length. I like your patterns, enjoy.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:24 AM

Oh, I made the two snowmen in red and it was so cute--I really enjoyed it and it was my first attempt with the help of a few of my friends. Enjoy.
Karen
Old 01-21-2017, 06:24 AM

I use a very thin layer of batting behind the top. That way I can knot muy thread and the trails don't show. It's Quilters Dream, request I think.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:27 AM

There are some excellent videos on Needle n Thread website. I like doing an outline stitch for redwork. Easier to regulate the tension and doesn't use as much thread. Also the finished stitch is a bit raised and gives a dimensional look to your design.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

Everyone has their own preferences doing Redwork. I use a small backstitch at about 1/8 and I do it in a non slip embroidery hoop. I like the little balls of Perle cotton because you don't have to worry about keeping strands of embroidery thread tight. I use the best quality background fabric I can find, trace my patterns onto it with a Frixion pen ( so I can iron it off after) and I knot my thread ends but weave the thread tails under my finished work so no tails show.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:34 AM

I do have a funny story about "redwork" embroidery. This was back a few years ago at Walmart. I was in the fabric department looking for thread. A young woman walked up, staring at the threads, looking quite confused. She had a few spools of thread and she asked me if I knew anything about embroidery. She said "Which of these threads is the correct red for redwork?" I told whichever one she liked best. More confusion on the face. Then she said, "I want to do some embroidery on a project. I really wanted to use black but my designs say RED." I told her if she wanted to use black she could use black. (Please remember they walk among us) Her eyes flew open wide and said, "Isn't that against the law?"