Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Reflections on rulers

Reflections on rulers

Seems like I get a lot of reflection on my rulers from my ceiling light. Most times it is difficult to see the lines accurately due to the glare. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem. I've tried different deflectors and still have the glare. Any suggestions?

Do you have a "regular, single" ceiling light? Where are you cutting in relation to the light, i.e. directly under, slightly to one side, etc.? If you can move where you are, it might help. Also, a lamp nearby might help. Worth a try. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    I get this now and then when I am using my overhead light or it is a certain time of day and the sun coming through my North window does this. A side lamp used during those times really helps.
    Desiderata (Max Ehrmann) - Walk placidly amid the noise and haste and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

Power Poster
    Would polarized sun glasses help? So crazy it just might work?

Haven't had this ever. Sorry.

However a friend is having some troubles and is in need of cataract surgery. Mostly it is just her sense of color that is affected.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

I cut on my kitchen counter because it is the right height. I have to turn the light out above and use the light behind me, it's not the greatest thing but works okay. I use omnigrid rulers & a green olfa mat, so might just be the combination that makes the glare as bad.

I get the glare depending on the angle and time of day and which light I use. I just try to make the best of it. I would try those sunglasses. it just might work.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

Blog Entries
    Could you maybe put a piece of the contact paper that is semi-clear on top of you ruler to cut the glare but still be able to see the lines? It's not really clear, just kind of cloudy looking. Might be worth a try. I used to use it to cover my daughter's school books. You can see through it but it's not shiny. I got it at Walmart in a roll. It was very inexpensive.

Blog Entries
    My very first post to the board (after an intro) was how I used Minwax Clear Satin Polyurethane, 2 light coats on my rulers for that very reason! Work's well!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
    My very first post to the board (after an intro) was how I used Minwax Clear Satin Polyurethane, 2 light coats on my rulers for that very reason! Work's well!
    Me too...same product and it worked fine...created a sort of matte finish and greatly reduced reflection.