Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: "Refurbished" Quilt - Thrift Store Find

"Refurbished" Quilt - Thrift Store Find

I was horrified to find this adorable hand-made baby quilt at a thrift store for $5 and I rescued it. I'm going to remove all the ties, take off the bindings and replace the one or two blocks with stains, then quilt and bind it properly so I can donate it. Anyone else find projects like this?

Name:  2013-03-02 21.41.46sm.jpg
Views: 4682
Size:  548.6 KB

Found a totally unused one at goodwill store and bought for $10.00! It was for double bed and hand done. Donated it to local shelter.
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

I have not been able to find any but would love to.

Makes me sad to think of how little value or importance a fellow quilters work (and love) was given -- it was probably a mother who felt it didn't 'go' with the decor in a baby's room....

How wonderful that you rescued this adorable quilt and will be fixing it up to donate it. I have found only one but I certainly keep my eyes open for others. The one I found was very ragged, but there was enough decent portions for me to make a 30 inch teddy bear for a toddler I knew. She is now 23 and still has that bear. I did not even know how to quilt when I made the bear, but I loved quilts.
    Always remember, in His eyes, you are precious, you are treasured, you are loved.

Wonder if the baby has fond memories of this quilt. I know my kids loved their "blankees", some are put away for their first borns.

i don't understand the (horror) or the saddness refered to when a quilt is (found & rescued) from a thrift store...do we not (donate) quilts all the time? do quilts not deserve to be passed on/shared with others who may not be able to afford them new- or know anyone who quilts and lovingly gifts them one?
    i hope some of the quilts i have made & gifted over the years are (donated/passed on) when they are no longer needed/wanted by whom ever i gave them to in the first place---seems like a much better outcome than a landfill or just left in the bottom of a closet to rot away....i would much rather find them being shared.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I agree with ckcowl. I don't think that I'm throwing something away when I give it to a thrift store. Instead, I hope that someone else will be able to use it until it's all used up, or perhaps they will eventually pass it on to someone else. You (Kaelyn) have done just that, and have even taken the additional step of restoring the item to a better condition before passing it on. What more could any quilter want to have happen with her quilts?

Quilt and bind properly??? Looks good to me for a $5 quilt!
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

The elephant fabric in your found quilt looks like a recent design, so the quilt couldn't have been that old before it was discarded. I once found two identical "house" quilts in different colorways for only $2.50 each at a thrift shop. They looked like samples from a quilt class - never used, never washed. I snapped them up so fast because I've always wanted to make a house quilt and just thought they are so complicated.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast