Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
reliable velocity iron question >

reliable velocity iron question

reliable velocity iron question

Old 03-19-2013, 04:56 PM

Easy to clean any iron with Sharon Schambers you tube video. She uses a magic eraser. Works like a charm!
Old 03-19-2013, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

I have one, and I do like it. (I previously had a Rowenta - will never buy another! The service was terrible on that iron.) I had a slight problem with the Digital Velocity iron, talked to them, and they sent me another iron. I didn't even have to return the first one!!! I bought mine refurbished on eBay at a good price - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reliable-V10...item53f641f10f
Old 03-19-2013, 07:28 PM

I have the blue one. You have to be a little careful when you fill it's, kind of hard to see...but I really like it!
Old 03-19-2013, 08:42 PM

My friend Cindi and her mother both owned Reliables, and after her mom passed, Cindi sent her Reliable to me. How I love that iron. If I ever drop it, you can bet I'm going to purchase another.

Cindi did a post on our blog with a review of it, but I'm not allowed to post links to my own blog.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:25 AM

Mine became a paperweight...spit & leaked...no, poured, from day one. I'm sticking to cheapies.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

I've heard good and bad on them. read reviews online. also beware of Rowentas. they have been said to catch fire. mine blew out my power cord when I turned it on. my Shark just went crazy. melted the plastic button thing on the iron rest that was supposed to protect the iron from getting scratched on the rest. sigh. I just bought a Black and Decker and registered it. they guarantee men's tools forever. hopefully they will the iron too.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:58 AM

I took a class with Doug Leko of Antler Quilt Design, and he loves the Reliable iron. He said the company has replaced his iron 3 times. From the reading I've done on this, the nice thing is that you can have the temperature on the sole plate low and still have a lot of steam, because the iron has separate heating elements (or something like that).

I don't usually use steam. I either spritz my fabric with water or Best Press (depending on what kind of crispness I want my fabric to have). I use a Continental iron, which is a steamless iron with a solid soleplate. I purchased it because I had started doing fusible applique and was frustrated by the little steam holes that I kept missing when I was fusing. I purchased the Continental on Amazon.com for around $40.

For the problem with getting the fusible off your iron, I have found that used fabric softener sheets (the non-woven, not the spongy kind) work great. Let the iron cool off a little and iron over used fabric softener sheets. It takes it right off. If you have fusible on your ironing board, place the used sheet on the ironing board and press.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:02 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

My Reliable Velocity roars when I hit the steam button, but the on/off buttons are in a bad location. They are located right at the top of the handle and I'm constantly accidently pushing them off all the time. So the next time I go to use the Reliable Velocity iron it's cold and I have to wait for it to warm up! I can't get use to the buttons being located at the top of the handles - I've had the iron for a few years and I still turn it off all the time.

So I bought a new, a little more expensive iron, that houses the water in a tank, and I love it. It's a DeLonghi and the iron is very lightweight and I can iron for so much longer now. I have much more steam and my hand never gets tired of ironing. It's like dry ironing because there is no water in the iron itself, only in the tank!

Last edited by jcrow; 06-27-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:17 AM

I don't know about that kind of iron, but I'll tell you that I bought an "American" brand from Target a month ago and the first time I used it I got a mild shock. I took it back soooo fast. It was made in China. Quality control just is not there in China, in poor Bangladesh or many of these developing countries (besides the immorality of not protecting their workers). I lived in Asia for years and loved it, but they are trying to cut too many corners in their development (management greed is a real issue!). I think Japan and South Korea are reliable, but the rest are still struggling. From now on I buy only from countries that are realiable. To get a shock from a brand new iron is just too much!

Last edited by Sierra; 06-27-2013 at 07:19 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

I bought the Reliable iron a couple of years ago. I never go to use it much as my DD borrowed it and still has it. It must be good as she won't keep any household item that messes up one time.