Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
remember me telling about repairing an old quilt covered with mildew? >

remember me telling about repairing an old quilt covered with mildew?

remember me telling about repairing an old quilt covered with mildew?

Old 07-23-2014, 08:35 PM

a BIG bucket.

aileen
Old 07-24-2014, 01:49 AM
Power Poster

Legend! Well done.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by oldpiglady View Post
Just to re-cap...a stranger approached me in the GW and asked if I would repair his old quilt. Turns out "Grandma" made it when she was in her 90's...back in the 70's. It is made out of double knit polyester. Not my choice...but maybe at the time, that was all "Grandma" had. All hand sewn. It was badly in need of repair. Every single seam had to be machine sewn all over again. Took me five weeks...because I was not excited about it. He was very patient....I had a lot of trouble with it because it was covered with mildew. It lived in his trunk a long time. Of course, I couldn't wash it until I got repaired it. So every time I had it in my lap...I would end up sneezing and then my asthma would kick in. Joy! Finally, I got it done. I had asked you all for advice on how to get the mildew out. You all had some really good ideas. What I had on hand, though, was some stuff called "AWESOME"...I got it at the dollar store. I filled up the sink ...poured the entire bottle in...added the quilt...and let it soak for 3 hours. Then I spent over 90 minutes hand scrubbing the entire quilt. Mildew does not let go easily. lol. Then I threw it in the washer. OMG!!! What a joy. It all came out. It looked like a brand new quilt. I was soooo excited. The man wanted it tied just like "Grandma" had done. I tried to talk him into other ways...but he wanted it the way he had it. I have arthritis and was not crazy about sitting around tieing (sp)...so I got a brainstorm. I simply laid the 3 inch piece of yarn on the top...and zig-zagged over it tightly about 1/4 inch. Then tied the ends into a square knot and trimmed. Took me almost the whole weekend to finish it...but that's better than a week, I figured. He was thrilled. Men don't see the flaws. lol All he wanted was to take it home and put it on a quilt rack. I tried to show him some things I had done to make really pretty...but like I said...Men don't care. He just paid me and left. Whew!!! Now I can start to play with my own projects. p.s. I forgot to take a picture...he left so fast.
I want to make sure it was "the Dollar Store" you bought the AWESOME from, there are so many types of this store. Just around me there is "Dollar Tree", "Family Dollar", "Everything Dollar Store" and "The Dollar Store". Has anyone see it at any of these other stores too in case my Dollar Store doesn't have it. And I'm assuming it is located with the laundry detergents?
Jeri
Old 07-24-2014, 12:18 PM

"Awesome" is Awesome. If you use just 1 tsp in a 16 oz spray bottle of water it makes the very best window cleaner there is. It will cut tar and pitch off windows with just a wipe. Try it. And the only place it is available is at the Dollar Stores
Old 07-24-2014, 01:47 PM

Well, We still use those lap quilts made from double knit. And I have a King quilt made from it. HEAVY. And warm!.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:36 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I want to make sure it was "the Dollar Store" you bought the AWESOME from, there are so many types of this store. Just around me there is "Dollar Tree", "Family Dollar", "Everything Dollar Store" and "The Dollar Store". Has anyone see it at any of these other stores too in case my Dollar Store doesn't have it. And I'm assuming it is located with the laundry detergents?
Jeri
Our "Dollar Tree" carries it. I don't know about the others. It is on the wall with all the other cleaning liquids.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:59 PM
Power Poster

So glad it turned out after all your work! Good hearing from you.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:50 PM

Red face

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Jeri
In my area...there is a store called "Dollar General"...but I have seen it at the "Dollar Tree" also. Maybe even WalMart. Terrific stuff Have seen it at Family Dollar, also. .
Old 08-07-2014, 03:42 PM

Good for you! It would have been great to have some before and after photos. But I guess you have already figure that out!
Old 08-08-2014, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Wow! More proof that polyester double-knit is indestructible!!!
Just like the Energizer Bunny!!! It just keeps going & going & going!