Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Remove oil drops from quilt? >

Remove oil drops from quilt?

Remove oil drops from quilt?

Old 07-14-2015, 04:08 AM

Default use baby powder

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
Well, to make a long story short. A friend attended a Juki class from an "expert". The expert said to oil your walking foot because of the moving parts. Well. It sounded good to me, my walking foot was squeaky. So, I guess what either the expert didn't say or the friend didn't say. Wipe away any metal shavings that might be up in the foot. The foot ran like a dream, till it dripped. The corn starch worked like a dream. I don't know if it was the fact that it was fine white powder or if it absorbed the oil and I wiped it away with the toothbrush. But, it worked, Thank you selm, cornstarch is now in my sewing essentials.
When I worked I had a bad habit of starting to cook before I changed out of my suits and silk blouses. It was very common t o get a grease spot on my good clothes. I always sprinkled the spots with baby powder, let it set overnight, brushed it off and washed or dry cleaned the next day. Saved many a silk or poly blouse with this technique. Now I use it on my quilts, sprinkle, let it set, brush it off and clean with damp, warm, wash cloth or pour warm water over and thru the spot. The talc in the powder absorbs the grease and the warm water removes any residue.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:09 AM

I have used talcum powder to soak up oil stains. leave a fair amount for a few hours and then dust off and wash. The results can vary, so I repeat.
P.S. Sorry for the repeat info. of the post above. Did not see it before I posted but nice to know others have also found it successful.

Last edited by jitkaau; 07-14-2015 at 04:12 AM.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:14 AM

All good ideas. But I think some good advice would be to oil the machine when you are finished sewing for the day. Then put an "old t-shirt" under the needle and leave it there till the next time you sew. When you come back, sew a few lines on the old shirt until the thread is clean.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:42 AM

Dawn dish detergent is my go to. I pretreat my t-shirts with it (bacon & machine grease/oil)...All detergent just does not get the grease spots out.

I also have a little bottle of dawn at the shop...if I get oil/gunk on a top...put a tiny bit on a wet finger..rub onto the spot & use a wet wash cloth to rinse it out. I bought some spot remover from JHittle company...turned out to be chalk...soft stick of chalk...or talc...not sure which...messy, but works well...but not for stains...just for clear oil

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
Morning all. I took the advice of a friend and oiled my walking foot. The oil was clear but dripped black onto my quilt. Any advice as to how to remove oil drops? I'm thinking the Tide pen but, any advice would be appreciated. I don't wish to wash it out right, I was planning on entering it into a show. Do they still make that K2R spot remover?
Old 07-14-2015, 08:17 AM

Thanks for posting this. Very informative & things to remember. I had this problem awhile back. The quilt was for my daughter & the spot wasn't really noticeable so I didn't do anything to it. This is good info though because it does happen to us quilters sometimes.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:26 PM
Power Poster

I would think wiping off excess oil before using would have prevented it. Otherwise the clear oil I use dissipates.
I would try shout directly on the dark stain or oxyclean, let set then gently scrub the spot.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:40 PM

you immediately use a powder, flour to absorb oil as much as possible. Then cold water, bar of soap on spot and wait couple of hours before washing spot again. Hope it works.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:13 PM

I had this problem on a white quilt--used a q-tip and dab of Grease-out (use it mostly for son's mechanic clothes, but will work on lots of oily stains).

If you are using corn starch, be sure that it doesn't have aloe or other ingredients in it-creates an oily surface.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:19 PM

It's so good to know the cornstarch worked!