Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Removing paper from paper piecing quilts >

Removing paper from paper piecing quilts

Removing paper from paper piecing quilts

Old 06-25-2015, 08:58 AM

I used to fret about the bits of paper and work to get every single morsel of paper out. Now I leave those small bits trapped under a thread. I believe you can to more damage sometimes trying to remove those bits.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:35 AM

I have found Golden Threads Quilting Paper. Tears really easily.

http://www.goldenthreads.com/
Old 06-25-2015, 09:46 AM

I use a thin interfacing for PP. You do not have to remove it, it is very thin and does not add any weight to your blocks. You can also purchase "Fun-Dation" 8 1/2 x 11 special fabric sheets that you can also leave in.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:28 AM

I try and use phone books, and when I do I spritz with water and it takes nothing to take it off. Don't worry about the tiny pieces.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewbeadit View Post
I try and use phone books, and when I do I spritz with water and it takes nothing to take it off. Don't worry about the tiny pieces.

How do you get the pattern on the printed phone book page? I know many use phone book pages for foundations when string piecing.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:50 PM

The first quilt I pp was a Storm at Sea and I left the papers in until the quilt was all put together--never again!! Now, this is just my very humble opinion, but there was more stress put on the blocks/bias edges trying to remove the papers from a whole quilt. The next 7 or 8 quilts I pp I removed the paper after completing each block--much easier, and much less stress on the blocks themselves. I either place them on my design wall or store flat in a plastic box so the blocks aren't handled that much. (I also think trying to get each and every tiny little piece of paper from the seams and star points can cause stitches to pull loose so I don't stress over those.). I know the "pros" or instructors advise leaving the paper on until the quilt is put together but why? When doing regular piecing, the blocks aren't supported by papers so I don't see a reason to leave them on when pp. Again, just a humble opinion--there's no right or wrong way.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:34 PM

I'm making a pp'ed top right now and I plan to let my grandkids loose on it to remove the papers once I get the top together. They'll think it's fun! (They enjoy peeling off the freezer paper when I applique.) Will let you know how it goes, and if the top gets ruined, lol.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
Carol Doak says the same thing; don't worry about the little bits.

I tend to remove the seam pieces as the I sew sections together. I think that helps a lot to reduce bulk while sewing and makes the paper removal process at the end, less troublesome.
I do the same thing Debrak. It makes it so much easier to sew seams together. It also makes it easier to remove the body pieces of the pp. Leaves less small pieces also.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:36 AM

Brandeesmom...how do you get the pattern printed on the interfacing.Sounds interesting to me! Dee
Old 06-26-2015, 07:27 AM

Depending upon how thin the interfacing is, you can cut it into 8-1/2" x 11 sheets, press onto a matching piece of freezer paper and run through your ink jet printer.

I took a class from Linda Hahn who sells this leave-in foundation for PP which is in 8-1/2 x 11" sheetss She says when you wash the quilt, the paper softens. And you can run it through either ink jet or lazer printers. A

Also, I read that in another thread that Sharon Schamber and Ricky Tims both have leave-in foundations for PP that you can buy by the yard.

Originally Posted by deeleigh View Post
Brandeesmom...how do you get the pattern printed on the interfacing.Sounds interesting to me! Dee