Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Removing pencil markings from a quilt top >

Removing pencil markings from a quilt top

Removing pencil markings from a quilt top

Old 01-15-2012, 11:21 AM

Default Removing pencil markings from a quilt top

Several years ago I was given a formula for removing pencil markings from fabric. I am sure that I saved it on my computer, but now that I need it, I can't find it. Does anyone have the formula that they could share with me?
Old 01-15-2012, 12:15 PM
Power Poster

when i use pencil to mark my quilts- i simply toss the finished (quilted & binded) quilt into the washer-and wash it=with detergent- the pencil always washes away- i don't know any *magic* formulas- but an oxiclean paste would probably do it- since i always wash my finished quilts i don't worry about removing my marks ahead of time-they come out in the wash
Old 01-15-2012, 12:32 PM

Search for "removing pencil markings" at:

http://www.quilt.com/FAQS/StainRemovalFAQ.html

BTW, I've never used that, so I don't know how efficacious it is.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:20 PM

Thank you ckcowl and countryone77. A customer showed me an antique applique top where the placement lines had been marked with a red ironon pencil and had asked if I knew any thing that would remove them; as after the applique was completed it did not cover the markings. I offered to find the recipe that I had about removing pencil marks to see if it would help. We agreed that the top should not be washed until it was quilted and bound and even then probably just a gently soaking. I do appreciate your help.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
when i use pencil to mark my quilts- i simply toss the finished (quilted & binded) quilt into the washer-and wash it=with detergent- the pencil always washes away- i don't know any *magic* formulas- but an oxiclean paste would probably do it- since i always wash my finished quilts i don't worry about removing my marks ahead of time-they come out in the wash
Me too - just toss in the washer. Since you're dealing with red and heat set markings you may have some difficulty. How visible are the marks? Is this an heirloom piece? If the oxiclean paste doesn't work how about Fells Naptha. Not used it myself but I've heard there's nothing that doesn't remove.