Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To repair or to replace? >

To repair or to replace?

To repair or to replace?

Old 01-15-2014, 09:42 AM

In my area, there are two LQS that service Berninas and Janome/Baby Locks. Each of them charges around $80 for general maintenance, then if anything else is needed, they will call and tell you how much it will cost to fix it.

With most machines, if you will do two things consistently, you will hopefully never have a repair issue. (1) Clean the lint out of your bobbin area EVERY TIME you change the bobbin. You will find that different threads and fabrics generate different amounts of lint. Do not try to blow lint away, as this will put moisture into the machine's innards and may cause problems down the line. I use a Q-tip, others use a brush (either the one that comes with your machine or something like a medium art paint brush) to catch the lint. (2) Oil and lube your machine every 6 months. Your manual will show where the points are. If you don't have a manual, google your machine model number plus the word manual and you will probably find one online. On my Bernina, I put a drop of oil in the bobbin area at least once a month.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I service call for my Bernina is usually $100. I only bring it in when I have trouble. No idea on the longarm as I don't have one.
Same price at a Bernina dealership in Southern California. I need to get mine in for general servicing. One time my Bernina STOPPED working. I found that there are areas I can not get the dust bunnies out and they had over populated that small space bringing the Bernina to a grinding halt. Even the dealer was surprised!! It is just finding someone who will drive me to the local dealership since I had to give up driving.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:26 PM

I take my machine in every year for servicing -- it is a TOL Bernina and it is easier to have it cleaned and updated when I want to take it in rather than waiting and having an issue. Take your machine to your local dealer -- they can give you an estimate on the service and repair. Then you can decide what your next step is.