Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Repairing a block in a quilt that's already being quilted >

Repairing a block in a quilt that's already being quilted

Repairing a block in a quilt that's already being quilted

Old 08-16-2011, 07:01 PM
Power Poster

I think the ribbon idea is good. If it's already on it's way, I would stick with that idea. That's one of the reasons I don't like to use a close zigzag when machine appliquing. I know alot of people love to do it but I think it almost perforates the fabric weakening it. Good luck and the quilt will be great when finished.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:10 AM

I haven't found those tutorials for making binding using a pin in the ironing board, but I'd love it if someone could link me to one. If I end up going for that option, which pretty much depends on how the ribbon behaves when it arrives, then is there any particular type of fabric that works best for this? I think the pinks I have are all batiks, i.e. more densely woven.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:31 AM
Power Poster

before adding the ribbon- or bias strips you might want to put some fray-check over the fraying edges- just to keep them from fraying more- and then it will just depend on the ribbon being what you hope it is when it arrives.
making your own could still be an option-
to do the bias (tape) yourself- you cut your bias strips- pin a large safety pin to your ironing board-leaving enough room for the folded strip to pass through- fold your strip- push the end through the pin- start to press-pulling the bias strip through the pin as you press it-
i hope i explained that so it makes sense- sometimes you just have to give it a try to figure it out-
beautiful quilt- i hope how ever you try works out.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:41 AM

I've looked up fray check, and I'm uneasy about using it as apparently it's acidic and can damage fabric. I think the embroidery is enough to keep the fraying from getting worse at this stage, it was more that it looked messy and wouldn't hold up to washing.

Oh, that method! I use that every time I make binding! Thank you for explaining, it made perfect sense.

The ribbon has arrived and looks very nice. It's a great colour match, it will blend in a lot better than I thought. Folding it over is going to be awkward for any seam which meets the edge of the block at anything other than a right angle, but I'll just have to fold it and roll it and fiddle and pin it into submission.

Does anyone have thoughts on what stitch will look best to hold it down? Hand embroidery stitches, remember. I can't use a machine and anyway, whatever I do for this will only go into the batting but not end up showing in the back. Blanket stitch again? Going straight up and down so that the stitching ends up being a row of little diagonal lines? Cross stitch? Should I cover a lot of the ribbon with stitching or leave most of it visible, and should I pick a matching thread or use a selection of the #8 perle threads from the quilting to provide some contrast? My current instinct is telling me to keep it unobtrusive, the heart is already enough to grab the attention with that block.