Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Repairing fabric >

Repairing fabric

Repairing fabric

Old 06-20-2010, 10:16 PM

I have an old Grandmother's Flower Garden, one of the fabrics has shattered. How can I repair it? I thought about inserting fusible seaming strips behind the fabric. The fabric is intact, and it appears if I repaired it this way you would never know it had shattered. But I would have to fuse it to the batting. In addition, it may not stop the shatter from continuting beyond the stitching. I don't want to replace the original hexs, they were fussy cut from feed sacks and I love the fabric.

Should I fuse the entire hex or just the area that needs repair? Or should I repair it in another way?

I use the quilt on my bed. It is hand laundered about once a year just prior to storing it.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:21 PM
Power Poster

I am no expert, but the idea of using fusible on something so fragile could be fraught with difficulty. Would it be possible to apply a layer of organza (or similar fine fabric) over the top and applique it over the top of the damaged bits. It would be fiddly but wouldn't detract too much from the original.

Maybe if you had a spare room the quilt could go on a bed there...it sounds as if it is quite precious to you and it may last a little longer if not in constant use.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:39 AM

Personally I'd replace the shattered hexes.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:02 AM

I'd put a little piece of lightweight pellon under it, the hex fused to the pellon , not the batting. If there is space to do it, I'd make the pellon a bit larger than the hex. I used this method in a quuilt I had. And I'd stop using the quilt, put it on a nice quilt rack for display!
Old 06-21-2010, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by earthwalker
I am no expert, but the idea of using fusible on something so fragile could be fraught with difficulty. Would it be possible to apply a layer of organza (or similar fine fabric) over the top and applique it over the top of the damaged bits. It would be fiddly but wouldn't detract too much from the original.

Maybe if you had a spare room the quilt could go on a bed there...it sounds as if it is quite precious to you and it may last a little longer if not in constant use.
I believe this is the recommended technique that quilt historians suggest. However, for ones of my own I replace the ruined pieces. You can find vintage feed sacks in antique stores or on auction sites on line.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

I would replace the worn fabric
Old 06-21-2010, 02:40 PM

Thanks, I think I'll try the over lay first, if I don't like it I'll have to replace it. I got feed sack fabric of the same era to repair a yo yo that I can use.

You all are right I should only use it for display. It was my favorite quilt, and only one fabric shattered, the rest seem strong.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:37 PM
Power Poster

Would you post a pic. I would love to see it.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:20 AM

If you decide to replace the worn out fabric,I have some squares I can send you that is original to that era from some unfinished blocks,let me know and I will be glad to send those out to you. I think I have enough of the same fabric if you want to do them all in identical fabric.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:28 AM

I had my grandmothers quilted bed coat do that. It was an area about 3" in diam. I took lite fusible and fused it to white cotton, then took the paper off, clipped a few threads and slid it under the bad area using needles to smooth it and get it in place, then fused it to the back of the bad fabric, re-sitched the 1" slit. You can't tell it unless you
feel it and its a little crisper. I have washed twice but dry it on a hanger.