Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Repairing old quilts -- help! >

Repairing old quilts -- help!

Repairing old quilts -- help!

Old 12-21-2015, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Each problem has a different solution. There is an excellent book called "Quilt Restoration" that goes thru step by step instructions:
http://www.amazon.com/Quilt-Restorat.../dp/0939009838
Wow, didn't know there were so many books out there on the subject! i'm hoping this is one & done!
Old 12-21-2015, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
My SIL asked me to repair a quilt his grandmother had made when he was born (not crib sized). It was a lot of work but got'er done. There were a few tears and seams had come loose but the main problem, most of the machine quilting had started to come loose. I ended up hand quilting where the machine quilting was, removing the machine quilting as I went. Thank goodness it was mainly straight, not meandering! Now I try to hand quilting unless it will be an everyday, wash once a week quilt. I am afraid the machine quilting is not going to hold up like the hand quilting of yesteryear.
i considered hand quilting, but the damage is way too extensive, & my patience isn't enough for that either -- hope i can figure out a way to make this one come together!
Old 12-22-2015, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
the main problem, most of the machine quilting had started to come loose. I ended up hand quilting where the machine quilting was, removing the machine quilting as I went. Now I try to hand quilting unless it will be an everyday, wash once a week quilt. I am afraid the machine quilting is not going to hold up like the hand quilting of yesteryear.
I wonder if the hand quilting held up better than machine quilting because the machine stitches are tighter without the give, and also because the thread for hand stitching is stronger than what would be used in machines.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:21 PM

If you have a badly worn patch or one with a hole, applique a new patch over the original. This will maintain the "original" age of the quilt if it ever gets dated in the future. I was told this by an appraiser, and have followed it on my 1870 family heirloom baby blocks quilt.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:17 PM

The reason for covering with tulle is to maintain the integrity of an antique quilt. If you use fabrics from a later time when repairing the worn areas, that automatically re-dates the quilt to that later time. If you're just repairing something used as a utility quilt, it really doesn't matter.