Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Replacing parts of a block...any tips? >

Replacing parts of a block...any tips?

Replacing parts of a block...any tips?

Old 12-21-2015, 11:26 AM

Groan.....oh dear, the Chevrons are HSTs Tartan and my foray into trying to coax one of them apart and then back together was about as much fun as a trip to the dentist!
feline fanatic, my two whites were 2 totally different lots/brands, (insert quiet weeping and hand wringing here please!). I just happened to have some leftover squares from a previous quilt cut and got them mixed up with this lot. Ha.....and I wondered the other day why I had so many white squares left over after I had made all my chevrons...was sure I hadn't "over purchased" my quantity. Derrrrr....the penny drops now!!!!!
Meanwhile, it is a new day here across the sea and I am up at a ridiculous early hour making DH breakfast after only a couple of hours sleep. But, I now have my new chevrons cut out and half of them sewn together so once DH is off to work I can sit down and start re-sewing my rows...again! Thanks to everyone for the advice.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:29 PM
JDP

Post a pic when your done! Also dimensions, fabric range, pattern used and any other details. This helps "newbies" like me enormously. Glad you are a "happy chappy" again!
Old 12-21-2015, 02:40 PM
Power Poster

Another reason I like to keep all my fabric and patterns together in the same project box. just a courtesy tip.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

And yes would love to see the finished photo.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:21 PM

Just a thought here...could you possibly "applique" the correct white over the wrong ones, then cut away the back of the wrong ones as close to the seam as possible? You will have a bulkier seam, but when the top is quilted the bulk should work in. As I said, just a thought here.

I am a beer gal myself, but enjoy your "red".
Old 12-21-2015, 04:12 PM

I agree, just remake those blocks and take out enough seams to get the wrong ones out and the correct ones in. It really doesn't take as much time as you think it will. Does it sound like I have experience???? Unfortunately, I've gotten to practice the art of taking out incorrect blocks and replacing more than once. You will absolutely feel so much better about the project when it looks right to you.

How about a picture??? A before and then an after would be neat.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:30 AM

If it's not quilted it's relatively easy to remove a piece and hand stitch another in it's place. I've had to do this several times LOL
Old 12-22-2015, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

Looks like you've got it sorted, but easy on the red and keep it away from the quilt....you've had enough dramas with this quilt. Show us when you are finished, sounds lovely.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:09 AM
Power Poster

Have you taken a picture of the project? Sometimes what we see as "horrible" isn't really bad once we get a little distance. A picture can help make the determination.

I like the idea of making more chevrons with the "wrong" fabric and the "correct" fabric. Then you can call it a design choice and nobody will be the wiser.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:13 AM

Feline Fanatic is right: the color difference may not be noticeable at all when quilted. A quicker fix would be to streak a bit of paint across all the whites and that would solve your problem quickly and efficiently.